Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - a Q? for SVP users. My 4-way (2004) seems to have developed some type of clunk or rattle in the shock. I have removed/reset the shock to the frame several times, and checked the bushings, linkage, and all that for goodness of fit etc. Finding nothing in the frame, it appears that the shock has developed a clunkiness in it that becomes sufficiently exacerbated at speed over stutter bumps to actually sound like a rattling. I can feel it in the pedals and in the seat. Anyone had this? It is annoying, but does not appear to affect the bike's excellent ride. Still - it can't be good. I am wondering if there is some fix I have not thought of B4 sending this to Answer. The shock was new 9/2004. I am riding a Giant VT1 w/ my own parts kit, set to 5.7" travel.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Neil

·
Registered
115 Posts
NeilKamman said:
Hello - a Q? for SVP users. My 4-way (2004) seems to have developed some type of clunk or rattle in the shock. I have removed/reset the shock to the frame several times, and checked the bushings, linkage, and all that for goodness of fit etc. Finding nothing in the frame, it appears that the shock has developed a clunkiness in it that becomes sufficiently exacerbated at speed over stutter bumps to actually sound like a rattling. I can feel it in the pedals and in the seat. Anyone had this? It is annoying, but does not appear to affect the bike's excellent ride. Still - it can't be good. I am wondering if there is some fix I have not thought of B4 sending this to Answer. The shock was new 9/2004. I am riding a Giant VT1 w/ my own parts kit, set to 5.7" travel.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Neil
My '04 3way air on a VT behaves in similar way. I think it did not have this rattling when it was new... but cant remeber exactly. The shock worked ok exept for this strage noise and play... until it started leaking oil but that is probably another story. Oh and it has this strange barier 0.5cm from the end of its travel; it needs additional force to overcome some kind of barier as it was hiting something inside but this and oil leaking is a new and i dont know if it is connected with rattling.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Me too

Michal said:
Anyone else with rattling swinger ? I'm interested if this is a common problem or maybe this is normal for swingers ?
This happened to me too. At first I thought it was the ID-cardtridge I was testing for my fork, then I though it was something that was loose. The sound was more like a bad creak than a rattle. I sent it in to be serviced and they found nothing wrong with it. But now it seems to be ok. I don't know if it was coincidence, but I first noticed the sound after it had gotten cold for winter. Now that it's back from service, winter is gone...

Ole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resolution

Spoke to Answer about this shortly ago - very good folk there. Apparently this is an issue w/ the 03's (which is what I have it turns out). Something about a bushing that gets loose in the internals, which can cause the rattle and ultimately failure. They are servicing the shock for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
NeilKamman said:
Spoke to Answer about this shortly ago - very good folk there. Apparently this is an issue w/ the 03's (which is what I have it turns out). Something about a bushing that gets loose in the internals, which can cause the rattle and ultimately failure. They are servicing the shock for me.
I had my shock servised a month ago. I came back in worse shape than it was. I gues i will have to take a risk and send them my shock again. Do you have some more information on this issue ?

·
Still rockin' those bibs!
134 Posts
Same on an '05 4-way air

Mine starts to sound rattley on long bumpy descents. I'm not too worried. I thought it was my deraileur, but the sound just didn't sit well with me. As for the shock, it has performed flawlessly since day one, but I'll be getting a backup soon, and I've been feeling pretty good about Manitou service lately. I'm just hoping that it won't fail outright in the middle of a big descent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michal said:
I had my shock servised a month ago. I came back in worse shape than it was. I gues i will have to take a risk and send them my shock again. Do you have some more information on this issue ?
I'll let you know if I have a problem. The guys were pretty reassuring on the phone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.