Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What shock would you guys pick to put on a FR/DH Rig.

Its going on a Transition Gran Mal, very similiar design to the Devinci Ollie/Wilson, or the Turner Highline.

Thanks for the help.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
I you are planning on climbing the hills you descend, DHX.
If you are a total shuttle bug, get an Avy or ROCO, if you got the money, I'd get the Cane Creek Double Barrel, I've heard good things.
Robstercraw, do you have any riding time in on the ROCO?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gran Mal

I've been checking that frame out too. There are so many shock possibilities for it. I talked with Kyle via email about running a 7.5x 2.25 (off my rfx) Avy to help lower the bb, he said the shock would work out great on the frame, lower the bb and still have around 5" to 6.75" travel.

Have you decided what eye to eye x stroke you want to use? He recommended an 8.5x2.5 for 5.5 to 7.4" of travel, and still lower the bb. Anyway should be a nice set up...
Go for an Avy

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Renegade said:
Robstercraw, do you have any riding time in on the ROCO?
nope, but I hear good things. I have a DHX and I have no complaints, but the ROCO is supposed to be more plush, PM knollybikes (Noel) he has one fitted to his V-Tach. So technically I should only recommend the DHX or the Avy, but there are some people I've run into who are raving about the ROCO and especially the CC Double Barrel.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Please don't take offense, but I fing it difficult to swallow recomendations for products one hasn't tried. Noel's brief, after one day of using it, review is just not enough data for the mtb community to draw conclusions from. There is no reliabilty history, no experimenting with the adjustments, not taking apart for the "user serviceable" aspect. I personally would never recommend a product because one guy rode it one day and said it was nice.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Indeed, don't take what I said as a whole hearted recommendation, but rather a little heads up on products to research. I always do a ton of research before I buy a product and some of the best products I've used have been brought to my attention by people who never rode them. Of course, with the products out today, chances are you are going to like anything you get.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
One thing to consider is that it's a single pivot bike so it doesn't have any neutral platform characteristics like bikes with DW Link or VPP. If you want to pedal it without a lot of bob, just make sure you get a shock with a good platform damping system.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Indeed, don't take what I said as a whole hearted recommendation, but rather a little heads up on products to research. I always do a ton of research before I buy a product and some of the best products I've used have been brought to my attention by people who never rode them. Of course, with the products out today, chances are you are going to like anything you get.
Yeah, tons of great shocks coming out. Even though they could be designed really well, it still doesn't mean they won't have problems with the manufacturing. Just look at Romics and 5ths. Well designed shocks, but sometimes come as complete lemons due to shoddy production.

Fox seams to be the most consistant with their DHX seeing as how they've also had plenty of time to work out the problems.

I'm sure Ford has nice and well designed cars, but the reality is that their production allows for too many shoddy errors, thus a crappy car that breaks. Same with GM.

The most proven reliable shocks mentioned in this thread:

DHX 5
Avy (any one, they all kick ass!!)
Swinger

I guarantee there were more DHX shocks sold in the last 6 months than any other shock for extreme use. When products are sold in such huge volume, comon erros show up very quick on these forums. Given the very few complaints of the DHX, I would assume they have a good track record for a shock being sold in such huge numbers.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
the ROCO is supposed to be more plush
i'm puttin the roco on my vpfree as soon as it comes out. i'll let you know at that point, what it's like. i've heard people describe it as feeling like the 888.

·
Hisforever
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know if Transition can offer an Avy products with their frames.?

·
Registered
178 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
Does anyone know if Transition can offer an Avy products with their frames.?
I doubt it, since they are not listed in the shock options, give them a call.
You could always just buy it with a DHX and sell it. Or ask if they will sell the frame without a shock at a discount. You should scratch the Romic from your list though, not a smart choice IMO.

·
Registered
557 Posts
sriracha said:
i'm puttin the roco on my vpfree as soon as it comes out. i'll let you know at that point, what it's like. i've heard people describe it as feeling like the 888.
8.75x2.75 Rocos are in stock and will be shipping on January 3rd...

Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts