Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out? I need some setup advise for a Manitou Swinger 3 way shock.This is my first attempt at full suspension,and I could use some help. This is my setup: '04 Turner Burner w/ XR rockers(4"),and a Fox Float RL 100mm up front. I ride trails here in wonderful CO,and am looking for a plush ride,but not too mushy when pedaling.I don't race,just like to take nice long rides...I tried Manitou's website but couldn't find starting settings..I weigh about 175#..maybe 185# with gear and water. Anybody got any recommendations out there? HELP! :confused:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
Can anyone help me out? I need some setup advise for a Manitou Swinger 3 way shock.This is my first attempt at full suspension,and I could use some help. This is my setup: '04 Turner Burner w/ XR rockers(4"),and a Fox Float RL 100mm up front. I ride trails here in wonderful CO,and am looking for a plush ride,but not too mushy when pedaling.I don't race,just like to take nice long rides...I tried Manitou's website but couldn't find starting settings..I weigh about 175#..maybe 185# with gear and water. Anybody got any recommendations out there? HELP! :confused:
I also have an 04 Burner with standard rockers and a Manitou 3 way spv shock. The first thing to do is set the sag between 20-30% of shock stroke. The rockers should not affect the shock stroke just the rear wheel travel. I set my sag at 25% shock stroke. This amounts to 9.5mm which is 25% of 38mm which is the stroke of the 3 way on the Burner. Use the o-ring on the shock or a zip tie. Put about 1/2 the amount of pressure in the spv (red) valve. I then put my shock pump in my cammel back and hit the trail. I changed spv pressure and rebound several times before it felt right. My riding weight is 220lbs and my settings are as follows: 160 main, 140 spv and rebound 5 clicks from full fast. Good luck and experiment.

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See! I knew this was the right place to go!

:D Thanks Bikenut..that does help.I forgot to mention that I have the XR rockers on my frame..I also heard that I should up the air pressure in the main body to compensate for the extra travel/leverage..I'll try this out.....Happy trails...............John

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
:D Thanks Bikenut..that does help.I forgot to mention that I have the XR rockers on my frame..I also heard that I should up the air pressure in the main body to compensate for the extra travel/leverage..I'll try this out.....Happy trails...............John
I have an 04 burner with standard rockers and I'm running 150 psi in the main, 75 in SPV. I weigh about 190 lbs. Seems to work well for me. I use most if not all of the travel on most rides, and it rides pretty plush. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Manitou suggests for intitial set-up:

1)Set the SPV chamber 1st - 50-70% of your riding weight BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

2)Set the main chamber to give you the sag you need/want for your use. (that could be anything from 25-40% depending o your use - less for XC, more for DH)

Every time you change the SPV pressure, it affects the main pressure. So, if you decide you want more or less platform from the SPV, you'll need to readjust the main for sag.

this info's available on their web site.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
You did mention that you had XR rockers but this does'nt matter. Pressure might be more for same sag but 25% of 38mm is still 9.5mm. Remember, the shock stroke is measured not the travel at the rear. This is what the XR rockers affect.

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks............

Hey thanks all...You're will get me in the right ballpark,I'm sure..Having come from hardtails(arse suspension..),this is all pretty new still to me.Its good to know that I can find help when I need it...Happy New Year,and Happy trails...............................John :)

·
Alpine Rider (Italy)
283 Posts
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
I weigh about 175#..maybe 185# with gear and water. Anybody got any recommendations out there? HELP! :confused:
descalzo described well the official way.
imho it's better to start with 55psi in svp and add air in the main chamber untill 25-30% of sag, if you bob too much deflate all chambers and try 60psi in svp + necessary air in the main chamber. you goal is to get a compliant shock + a light/medium reduction of bobbing.
do not try to abolish completely bobbing, off road performance would be awful!
if you pedal smoothly 60-75psi could be enoughl, imho pressures suggested by manitou are way to harsh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.