Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of rebuilding my 03 Manitou Skareb Super. In the service manuals it says to use "5wt Motorex fork oil." I have looked at a couple LBS in Calgary and have not found anything similar, not even any 5wt oils. What are some other fork oils that will work?

-Nathan

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Go to a motorcycle shop and buy a bottle of their 5 wt oil. Same stuff. If you want it to be a little firmer and the rebound to be a bit slower, you can use a more viscous oil, or a heavier weight. Like a 7.5. If you want it to be a bit more plush and have a faster rebound, then use a lighter weight oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ned13b said:
I am in the process of rebuilding my 03 Manitou Skareb Super. In the service manuals it says to use "5wt Motorex fork oil." I have looked at a couple LBS in Calgary and have not found anything similar, not even any 5wt oils. What are some other fork oils that will work?

-Nathan
Try checking at a motorcycle shop that services off-road motor cycles. That was what the LBS here told me and what the local NAPA auto parts store told me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spud said:
Try checking at a motorcycle shop that services off-road motor cycles. That was what the LBS here told me and what the local NAPA auto parts store told me.
Thanks, turns out I could've bought it accross the street from the LBS I was at. For the record I bought some Bel-Ray 5w fork Oil.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
ned13b said:
Thanks, turns out I could've bought it accross the street from the LBS I was at. For the record I bought some Bel-Ray 5w fork Oil.
I got some Bel-Ray 5wt too a while back, but mine is not synthetic. I've since bought synth fork oils at both Blackfoot cycle (I think they carry Golden Spectro, Red Line, and maybe others) and Walt Healy (Motul). I just found that the non-synth isn't as good in cold weather (and freezing does happen year round here as you must know), so if you find the Bel-Ray stiffening up when it's chilly, try one of the shops I listed for synth oils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.