Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some sever stiction in my Manitou Sherman Slider Plus. I lubed the seals and it made no difference. any ideas?

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
Have you done any work on it lately? The last time I installed a new rebound damper in my Sherman, the piston had a real snug fit with the inside of the stanchion and took about a half a ride to seat itself. It felt really sticky with poor rebound. Fortunately it loosened up.

I later replaced the seals with Enduro's and there was a massive amount of stiction. Luckily I bought some Stanchion Lube with them. A couple of applications and it was like there was no break in time whatsoever. Try some of that stuff, you can order it from their website www.enduroforkseals.com It's super slick stuff and actually penetrates the coating on the stanchions and the seals themselves.

Other than that, no. what are you using to lube the stanchions? Have you checked your semi-bath oil lately?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
homeboy said:
I have some sever stiction in my Manitou Sherman Slider Plus. I lubed the seals and it made no difference. any ideas?
Take it apart, clean all your wipers, new semi-bath oil. If the fork is new or if the seals are new, you just need to break it in. Also, pack a BUNCH of grease under the wipers. I use Manitou Prep M grease on all my forks and shocks when I rebuild. Good stuff, a little pricey though.

·
otb club member
2,949 Posts
mattsavage said:
Have you checked your semi-bath oil lately?
This is a good question. Sometimes the semi-bath oil mixes with coil spring grease and turns to goo, meaning proper lubrication is not taking place at the bushings (and seals).

Do what XSL_WiLL suggested and tear it down and service it. Manitous are the easiest forks in the world to service--you may as well learn to do it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts