Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. i just had some questions that i would really love if you guys could answer for me about this shock.its all i can afford right now. has anyone had it or know anything about it for some questions? ty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ty. well basically this is all i can afford at the moment. im kinda a newbie at this stuff so sorry if i dont understand alot.
so my biggest question is how do you tune these?
i dont understand what adding air does. im guessing it goes to the spv only?
and also i kinda dont get the rebound adjustment. when do you want slow and fast. and i notice the more air i put in it the slower gets.
i ride at snow summit in big bear. i dont know if you are familiar with it.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Click the SPV Devolve link in my signature below. It shows you what the SPV valve is and how you can make it better.
SPV valves got sticky. At this point (10 years on) you'll definitely have to pull it apart, clean it, grease the valve and reassemble. It's not a hard job, but there are a few traps for new players.
The fork chassis is solid (dual crown Sherman), it's just the SPV damper that's finicky.

Rebound, I run mine quite fast. But it depends on where and how you ride. Go to the dougal.co.nz website in my link and read through the suspension tuning guides.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tyvm i will definetely take a look at that.
another question if you dont mind relating to similar shocks. do you know anything about the rear shock that came along side it. what i have is supposed to be called the manitou swinger 4-way air spv i think

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
tyvm i will definetely take a look at that.
another question if you dont mind relating to similar shocks. do you know anything about the rear shock that came along side it. what i have is supposed to be called the manitou swinger 4-way air spv i think
Yes I had a swinger 4 way for a while. It works in a similar way, air pressure on the end of the piggy back changes the compression damping, the volume adjuster around the SPV air valve changes how progressive the shock is and how hard it is to bottom out.
Rebound and spring air pressure work in the normal way.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Oh ok ty for that. I plan on servicing my Sherman. Do you have a guide that explains it fully step by step?
Here is a 2003 Sherman service guide: http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2003-Sherman-Owners-Manual.pdf
Here is the 2005 Owners manual. The only useful part in here is the SPV pressure range (30-120psi, start at 40psi): http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2005-All-Forks-Owners-Manual.pdf

They are pretty simple forks. 16cc of splash bath oil in each leg. I don't have any information on the oil height/volume in the damper. I suggest carefully measuring the height before you start and replicating that. Damper uses 5wt oil but seldom needs replaced. The damper shaft (8mm allen key) threads INTO the fork CLOCKWISE to remove it.

If removing the SPV assembly (it's part of the rebound damper) then you need to let the air out the top cap while the fork is upright, then drain/remove the lower legs, turn the fork upside down and remove the damper shaft and cap.
The SPV valve is underneath the piston (when the piston is at the top and rod hanging down). Unscrew the piston to get to it, push the two halves apart, clean and regrease it.
Then reassemble.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok sounds really confusing but I'm going to see if I can do it. I mainly wanted to change the oil and the seals and maybe I would like to remove the spv. You called it devolve right? In your opinion. Is it better to remove it or leave it in?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ok sounds really confusing but I'm going to see if I can do it. I mainly wanted to change the oil and the seals and maybe I would like to remove the spv. You called it devolve right? In your opinion. Is it better to remove it or leave it in?
They are an extremely simple fork to work on. Changing bushing oil and seals can be a half hour job if you're experienced.

Because the fork is 10 years old you'll need to regrease the SPV valve. It's a simple job, just another few layers in.
I recommend the devolve mod. It is completely reversible if you like a platform in a 170mm fork.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
are these the seals for it? Enduro Seal /Wiper Kit For Manitou Forks > Components > Forks > Seals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and also what is splash bath oil. like i said i dont know much about it. so it takes some sort of oil in both legs and a different kind somewhere else? and what kind of lube do you use?
also its a different process to change the seals?
Yes the Enduro 32mm seal kit will fit. The original manitou seals are still current, part number 85-5293. Both available online.

Splash bath oil is a bit thicker but sticks to the sides a lot better than fork oil. Manitou's oil is made by motorex and called "semi bath oil" which is available online.

The seals pop out with a tyre lever and push back in. They only need changed if they are leaking If you have access to a large socket set, they work very well to push in the seal on the outer edge while not damaging the inner sealing lip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i plan on going to buy everything i need right now but will any 5wt fork oil work because there isnt much available here and i would like not to order online if possible.

and also what kind of lube do you use? its only for the spv right? is there some type i should stay away from?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
well i plan on going to buy everything i need right now but will any 5wt fork oil work because there isnt much available here and i would like not to order online if possible.

and also what kind of lube do you use? its only for the spv right? is there some type i should stay away from?
Yes pretty much any 5wt oil will do. But it's extremely unlikely that oil will need changed.

There are two very good assembly lubes I use. Manitou Prep M and Slick Honey/Slickoleum.
The Prep M is best in tubes with the grease gun, the Slick Honey/Slickoleum is in small handy tubs. Either will do nicely for lubricating the dust seals on reassembly and greasing the SPV valve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I'm at the store. They have maxima, spectra golden, belray, and motorex. The motorex is really expensive. The maxima being the cheapest. What do u recommend? But basically I need 5 wt fork oil, lube, and 10w40 motor oil for each leg?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ok so I'm at the store. They have maxima, spectra golden, belray, and motorex. The motorex is really expensive. The maxima being the cheapest. What do u recommend? But basically I need 5 wt fork oil, lube, and 10w40 motor oil for each leg?
I have used motorex, maxima and spectro 5wt all without problems. Pick one.
The bushing lube is critical to fork performance. Some 10w40 engine oils are awful and some are excellent.

I'd recommend getting the real "semi bath oil" or perusing this forum for specific brand/type of alternative oil with known good results. There are whole, epic, threads on this topic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
O k I'm going to get the maxima fork oil. I can't find the semibath stuff . Can I use the same maxima oil for the 16cc in each leg?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so i want to remove the spv but i dont know what to remove. the picture u posted looks exactly like it but what do i take off?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts