Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Manitou Sherman Firefly SPV with the 20mm thru-axle, and love the rigidity of it compared to my 2002 Marz Z-1 QR20. I like everything about it except that it is way too vertically stiff. I have the factory springs in it and my SPV is set at 50 psi, and I have to hit a pretty good sized bump for the fork to compress. I weigh 220 lbs, so I thought the Ti - medium spring would be too limp, so is there something wrong with my fork? If I put it in 90mm mode, it pretty much is locked out. I would have to huck a 20 ft flat landing to make the fork compress in 90. When in 130mm, the fork never sags. It is always at the top of the travel, like it has a huge amount of stiction. And even when I get it past the initial point, it still takes a lot of force to compress a small amount of travel. Anybody have any ideas? This fork was brand new and direct from Manitou. Is this fork just meant for people who jump, the reason why it is so stiff?

Thanks,
BS

·
Registered
448 Posts
What you are describing...

Does not sound like the fork is working right. I have an SPV Breakout and other than a little bit less small bump sensitivity (seems typical for SPV forks) works fine. I'm ~190lbs with gear and run 50psi in the air chamber. The fork does have sag and functions normally; it filters out the low frequency inputs and is progressive (depending on volume setting) in its compression stroke. You should talk to a knowledgeable repair shop (Manitou authorized) or contact Manitou directly.

Not sure if this helps but I have heard of TPC+ Shermans that have a bad/blown seal that hydro-locking the fork.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
BullSCit said:
I just got a Manitou Sherman Firefly SPV with the 20mm thru-axle, and love the rigidity of it compared to my 2002 Marz Z-1 QR20. I like everything about it except that it is way too vertically stiff. I have the factory springs in it and my SPV is set at 50 psi, and I have to hit a pretty good sized bump for the fork to compress. I weigh 220 lbs, so I thought the Ti - medium spring would be too limp, so is there something wrong with my fork? If I put it in 90mm mode, it pretty much is locked out. I would have to huck a 20 ft flat landing to make the fork compress in 90. When in 130mm, the fork never sags. It is always at the top of the travel, like it has a huge amount of stiction. And even when I get it past the initial point, it still takes a lot of force to compress a small amount of travel. Anybody have any ideas? This fork was brand new and direct from Manitou. Is this fork just meant for people who jump, the reason why it is so stiff?

Thanks,
BS
Stuck SPV damper.

-TS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.