Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou Sherman Firefly 2002

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Zozimo 
#1 ·
Hi! I want to buy a used sherman firefly 2002, but i cant find anything on the internet about the fork. Can someone help me out? Btw, the fork is 8 months old so it is in great condition. Can someone tell me does it have TPC or SPV, Evil genius seals,...
I want to know if im making the rigth choice. Thanks!!!

#6 ·
Zozimo said:
I heard that the RAPID TRAVEL II can very easily die and you can no longer set the travel where you want it. Does anybody know anything about that? And if it is true is fixing the problem a big deal?
If it's ridden half engaged then it can chew the ears off itself. Effectively leaving the fork at full travel.

To fix that requires a new spring side compression rod, not a big problem.

#9 ·
Can i use standard 5w-40 oil in my fork? I want to change the oil in my fork but i dont have the Motorex oil that Manitou recomendes.

And another question:
My fork has from 110-130 mm of travel, but it uses up only 120mm. I have taken apart the fork and nodesed that the compression rod is too short or the spacer is 1cm bigger. What can i do about that? O yea and my fork is 03 Sherman Firefly

#10 ·
Zozimo said:
Can i use standard 5w-40 oil in my fork? I want to change the oil in my fork but i dont have the Motorex oil that Manitou recomendes.

And another question:
My fork has from 110-130 mm of travel, but it uses up only 120mm. I have taken apart the fork and nodesed that the compression rod is too short or the spacer is 1cm bigger. What can i do about that? O yea and my fork is 03 Sherman Firefly
Go to your local motorbike shop and buy any good 5wt fork or shock oil. The brand doesn't matter much.

The last 10mm of your fork travel is inside the bottomout bumpers, if you hit something hard enough then you'll get all the 130mm. If you aren't getting 130mm then try riding faster or get softer springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.