Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one year old manitou skareb and recently when I was cleaning around the seals, I noticed that the ruber is starting to crack. Probably due to being a year old. But I was wondering if its fine to run the seals like this or is it time for some new seals.

BTW, chris2fur are you still working on the enduro seals for the skareb, I noticed that you listed it "in production"

Thanks

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Pretty much...

You need new seals. As Manitous seals are never in contact with oil... they can crack if they are not lubricated. M-Prep lubricate seals by the inside but if they're working properly, they can get dry and crack at the outside.

Next time use a lubricant on the outside too.

Cheers!!

·
otb club member
3,040 Posts
Still in production.

mtnbikerdude87 said:
BTW, chris2fur are you still working on the enduro seals for the skareb, I noticed that you listed it "in production"

Thanks
Yeah, still working on the Skareb. I'm very anxious for them myself, as I run a Skareb 100 Super. Probably a month out (the Minute/Black kit will be out in about 2 weeks).

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Chris2fur said:
Yeah, still working on the Skareb. I'm very anxious for them myself, as I run a Skareb 100 Super. Probably a month out (the Minute/Black kit will be out in about 2 weeks).

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/
Chris... do you have the manual of the old '99/'00 Manitou Spider?? A friend needs help on that one but I haven't ever seen any of those and I don't know if its from the SX or X-Vert or what family??
THX!!!

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Chris... do you have the manual of the old '99/'00 Manitou Spider?? A friend needs help on that one but I haven't ever seen any of those and I don't know if its from the SX or X-Vert or what family??
THX!!!
The 99/00 Spyder was a law unto itself. The base spyder is a simple MCU/spring fork with no damping. The Spyder R has an air damper in the base of one of the legs and aluminium tubes, it was quite light.

Stripping them is easy, take of the topcaps, fish the mcu and springs out then use a long 6mm allen key to unscrew the plunger rods.

From there a clean, grease and reassemble is pretty straight forward.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Dougal said:
The 99/00 Spyder was a law unto itself. The base spyder is a simple MCU/spring fork with no damping. The Spyder R has an air damper in the base of one of the legs and aluminium tubes, it was quite light.

Stripping them is easy, take of the topcaps, fish the mcu and springs out then use a long 6mm allen key to unscrew the plunger rods.

From there a clean, grease and reassemble is pretty straight forward.
THX Doug!!! I already sent my friend the info you have at your page about the Spyder. He said he would service it and I'll be around there (he lives at my hometown) next weekend if he has any problem. I'll let you know.

Basically I needed to know if it had damping an in which leg. All manitous with microlube are freaking easy to service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts