1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I'm wondering how the new Manitou ISX-6 would work on a turner. Seems like it uses the best feature (IMHO) of the swingers, the bottom out volume adj. and gets rid of the harsh SPV. The reservoir looks a little long though, and it might hit the down tube.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I have been very happy with the 4-Way air on my Spot. It's much better than the 3-Way unit. When my friend's 2004 stock 3-Way gave up the ghost on his Burner I sent it back to Manitou and they sent out a new '07 X3 which has the 4 position SPV adjustment lever (so does the X4 you were looking at on Ebay). I took a few test rides on the new version of the 3-Way and found it to be a big improvement over the old 3-Way. The option to fine tune the SPV setting on the fly made the shock perform much better - similar to the RP3, and the initial set up is less complicated since the SPV pressure is now factory set. I assume the X4 would be similar.
The 4-Way's piggy back air can made a huge improvement over the 3-Way. I added the no tools BO adjustment valve (a simple add on item that threads into the bottom of the air can). That additional BO adjustment can also be made on the fly (almost) and has the effect of increasing BO resistance and firming up the SPV pressure simultaneously. I set mine up to get proper sag and ride feel at one turn in from full BO open. On the trail I can add a turn of BO to firm up the ride or open it all the way up for a really plush feel.
I think Manitou's offerings are getting better, especially after the Hayes buy out. Their customer service has been great too. I know folks complain about the reliability, but Fox certainly has had it's share of stuck downs and bad valves on the DHX and RP3 - certainly Manitou's could hardly be worse compared to that, but Fox still seems to remain popular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.