Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I destroyed the thread on the schrader valve on my Manitou Radium R so I need to get it replaced. How do I tighten the new valve on to the cylinder?

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
you probably have already solved this, but for the rest, i think you must unscrew the valve core, and there´s a hex slot inside. tighten it and them the core...

at least i think the red spv valve works this way...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marcolino said:
you probably have already solved this, but for the rest, i think you must unscrew the valve core, and there´s a hex slot inside. tighten it and them the core...

You're correct... same procedure. Insert a 3mm allen wrench and tighten it or loosen it.

Be careful with an o-ring that's on the valve stem. It can be easily nicked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marcolino said:

Thanks for your reply. I've figure it out. I bought a little valve core removal tool fron ACE hardware and everything worked out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
hi again starflare and warp,

starflare, on what bike do you have the shock?

what´s your experience with it?

i´m thinking of getting one as they´re getting cheaper, but specially because i found they are similar to my metel shock, yet with the weight advantage.

i don´t mind the shock bobbing a little, but it must absorb terrain well, as i like descending!

do you think radium works that way?

thanks in advance,

Marcolino

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd keep looking. It's all platform until you hit something big, then it bottoms out and starts acting like a pogo stick.

I may be exagerating a little bit, but the small bump compliance is non existant. It's not a plush shock at all.

Marcolino said:
hi again starflare and warp,

starflare, on what bike do you have the shock?

what´s your experience with it?

i´m thinking of getting one as they´re getting cheaper, but specially because i found they are similar to my metel shock, yet with the weight advantage.

i don´t mind the shock bobbing a little, but it must absorb terrain well, as i like descending!

do you think radium works that way?

thanks in advance,

Marcolino

·
Registered
258 Posts
thanks for the reply,

i wonder if i managed to reduce the platform (taking nitrogen off), and added a little bit of oil into the air chamber, would it gain both small bump ability and progressivity, thus becoming plusher? on theory i think it would work.

my problem is "better" shocks aren´t cheap and i don´t know if they are easily tuned.
i know i´m trying to turn copper into gold, but i´ve seen "bad" products became a lot better with a bit of attention...

what do you guys think?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marcolino said:
thanks for the reply,

i wonder if i managed to reduce the platform (taking nitrogen off), and added a little bit of oil into the air chamber, would it gain both small bump ability and progressivity, thus becoming plusher? on theory i think it would work.

my problem is "better" shocks aren´t cheap and i don´t know if they are easily tuned.
i know i´m trying to turn copper into gold, but i´ve seen "bad" products became a lot better with a bit of attention...

what do you guys think?
Get an old Swinger 3-Way... or even a 5th Element Air and get done with it.
Those can be serviced/tuned at home.

They can be had for peanuts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
warp, thanks for the reply.

but do you think both the 5th or the 3way have good small bump ability?

i didn´t thought of going that way as i wondered if they worked good for descending...

with the lowest psi on the platform side maybe?

good rides,

Pedro Marcolino

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marcolino said:
warp, thanks for the reply.

but do you think both the 5th or the 3way have good small bump ability?

i didn´t thought of going that way as i wondered if they worked good for descending...

with the lowest psi on the platform side maybe?

good rides,

Pedro Marcolino
They will not be super supple... But they'll do fine with minimum pressure. The 5th is a bit better as the air canister has a very decent volume.

Think Porsche instead of Cadillac.

·
Registered
258 Posts
eheh, i really like porsche!!!

my dad always says to buy the better tool, because if buy a cheaper one, it could fail on you and you´ll end up buying the better one, wasting the money on buying the cheaper one...

regarding shocks i was wondering if it was worth it to pay more for a "better" shock, because here, or on online shops the prices are high. even used ones are pricey over here...

problem is if the "better" shocks end up performing the same or worse than others. that´s what i´m afraid...

if money wasn´t counted i´d try it without beeing afraid...

thanks again!

edit- how does the float compare with the 5th or the 3way?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marcolino said:
edit- how does the float compare with the 5th or the 3way?
Float R = Cadillac
5th Air / Swinger 3-W = Porsche

Clear? ;) :D

Now seriously... The Float R (I don't want to speak for the RP series, which are slightly different) is very, very plush and depending on the air canister used (there is the standard and two with higher volumes) it will be more or less progressive.

While it shines on the small stuff, basically floating over anything; it bobs a bit more than desirable (depending on bike of course) and it feels a bit hash on medium size and speed and bigger stuff.

Now, while the 5th Air is harsh indeed on small and slow stuff, once you break open the platform is soo sweet... It uses the travel incredibly well and the rebound circuit has separate low and high speed stacks... So it lands like a big cat. Always controlled and certain. The rebound circuit adjustment does not affect the compression side as on the Float. Pedals incredibly well. Use it at the lowest IFP pressure setting and you'll be good to go.

Get the Swinger... the 5th Air is a cool shock, but I'm afraid it's a bit fragile if you get the old version and there's no way to know if it's an old version or a new one unless you actually open it and there are not spares available.... and it can be rebuilt at home. Something you CAN'T do with a Float unless you have some Nitrogen bottle at hand.

Swingers can be found cheap used. Problem is to get the right reducers to mount them on the frame as they're not equal to Fox's... But you already have a Manitou, so that's for you another advantage. Just be careful to take your reducers out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
warp, thanks for explaining those features better!

well i saw this 3way new that sells cheap, but i think it doesn´t fits my bike e2e.

i´ll check it out!

also there´s a ario 2.1 cheap, how does it compare with the 3way?

thanks again!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marcolino said:
warp, thanks for explaining those features better!

well i saw this 3way new that sells cheap, but i think it doesn´t fits my bike e2e.

i´ll check it out!

also there´s a ario 2.1 cheap, how does it compare with the 3way?

thanks again!
The Ario is Rock Shox's Metel... It will not be an upgrade.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i see what you mean...i thought of it as similar too, i just didn´t have the knowledge of what´s on the inside...

And if i found a NEW radium R shock for 39,99 euro, would you buy it for that sum???

if i didn´t really like (probable) i could do some frankenshock tuning between metel radium...

( in dolars it´s almost the same)

for this price it can mean adjustable platform for the metel, ehehe.

or more shims for adjusting one of the shocks...

and i could use the hardware that i already have...

i guess it´s even cheaper than buying used stuff...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts