Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a fork for an upcoming build (would ideally be a pipedream sirius/moxie, but might throw them on a ragley frame if a steel frame isn't in the budget), and was trying to decide between the 2 in the title, 120mm for the r7 and would probably lower the auron to 130mm. I live in the midwest I have pretty tame trails compared to out west pnw, but wondered if the r7 would be fine for taking to smaller dh parks and out west in utah/rockies. I know you guys rave about it and it's pretty stiff for weight/other forks with the arch, any thoughts? Would be about 550 for both, but would also have a 160mm shaft for the auron since I would lower it. Or if anybody has any other options, drop them below. Thanks

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
You are looking at two entirely different forks. On is an XC fork, one a trail/enduro. You also don’t say your weight, but even without that, your wanting to occasionally use it as a bike park says get the suntour. If you are looking at Manitou, the Mattoc is a better comparison to the suntour.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are looking at two entirely different forks. On is an XC fork, one a trail/enduro. You also don't say your weight, but even without that, your wanting to occasionally use it as a bike park says get the suntour. If you are looking at Manitou, the Mattoc is a better comparison to the suntour.
I realize this, I'd peg the auron as more of a trail fork than enduro but the point still stands. I weigh 160ish lbs kitted, and I'd love to get a mattoc but trying to keep the fork price down (r7 is $500 used, auron is 450ish+60 used for shorter air shaft). I guess I'm asking how well the r7 handles more demanding trails and how either one of them hold up if anybody has ridden them.

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Just hold out for a used Mattoc Pro. They come up for sale used periodically for less than $500.

· Registered
15,312 Posts
The R7 will be a good trail fork for you. The VTT damper just adds a seperate shim stack for the lockout position on the dial. You still have the other stack to tune as you want. The air side is Dorado Air with IVA volume adjust. 1648g vs 2033g for the Mattoc Pro.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have somebody that might be interested in selling a 27.5 '21 pro, what would a decent price be to offer, says it's barely ridden and looks pretty good condition.
1660g xc fork for dh park? Get a 2050g Mezzer. You can change the Mezzer travel by just hooking up a shock pump.
I'd probably bring it to dh park maybe a week total per season, it's 5ish hours away for a lift serviced one or 2-3 for a smaller "park", and not many used mezzers for cheap since they're decently new. Also on the specs for mattoc from what I see ride height (same thing as AtC?) changes when changing the travel, can somebody explain or link something to explain how it would change? I would think just adding spacers would just limit the travel, not change the AtC but have no experience with internally adjustable forks. thanks

· Registered
1,595 Posts
i had the auron for a couple seasons.

air chamber failed and i had it rebuilt professionally

then it failed immediately again

went back to the same shop who fixed it but then the damper blew apart the very first ride after getting it back.

they sent a new damper to me and it was working again after the third fix. i put in the damper!

i liked it though. was supple, tokens worked, and the low speed dial worked better than my charger rc2.

i would not not buy it.

my yari damper has done three seasons now w no issues and so has the air chamber. but its not near as supple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.