Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil in my Minute 1:00 and WOW!!! What a difference! I absolutely take back any comments I made about this fork being harsh. It's absolutely smooth under all conditions. The SPV is now fully adjustable from negligible platform to full on.

When I checked the semi-bath oil, there wasn't much in there and what was there, thick and goopy. I replaced that with the 16cc per leg of the official semi-bath fluid.

Then checking my SPV oil level, I spilled it getting the top cap off so I had to replace (careful pulling off the top cap, it's tight). Per the teamdicky post below, I used the 83mm oil level. Unlike TPC forks, the oil level is much more critical for SPV. The difference on the trail is night and day. The fork is buttery smooth now. I only had petroleum based 5wt for the SPV and it feels great. I can only imagine it's a bit smoother with synthetic.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=278547#poststop

Bottom line, great fork but only if you double check your oil levels. I bet they lost out on more than a few customers due to the sloppy quality assurance on assembly.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,761 Posts
Fork companies need to pull their heads out....

My Marzocchi had too much oil from the factory! I could never get full travel until I changed the oil. Now, I get full travel.

Bicycling magazine just did a review of forks. They said the Marzocchi S was great on big hits but wasn't as sensitive on smaller stuff. Why? I bet there was too much oil in the fork. This fork is the most senstive fork to small hits of any forks I have owned--including the Fox Vanilla.

Word travels fast. If one Minute is set up wrong from the company, a guy comes on here and hammers the fork, and the outcome is people don't buy them. It isn't the fork. It was the set up.

Maybe they do hire underpaid potheads to work on their products. Laugh.

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Uhm I'm not so sure using the wrong kind of opil in there is a good idea. As far as I'm aware the fork oil these forks are designed for is synthetic or mineral. Petroleum based oil could possibly damage the seals and rubber parts in there.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hecubus said:
Uhm I'm not so sure using the wrong kind of opil in there is a good idea. As far as I'm aware the fork oil these forks are designed for is synthetic or mineral. Petroleum based oil could possibly damage the seals and rubber parts in there.
I used standard Maxima 5wt fork oil. I'll replace with synthetic 5wt next time but it's absolutely fine.

To add to my original post, the volume of 120cc listed in the manual is also too high. I used this to start with and had to take it down a inch or so to get the proper level. So I'm not sure the proper volume but 120 is too much. The best bet is to measure down from the top as recommended.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When referncing the oil height, is that distance from the top of the stanchions inside the crown (top of threaded area) or elsewhere. I appreciate any help

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an even more basic q- how do I "check" the oil level?

Seems the service manual pdf from Answer's website doesn't say anything about how to check the oil level. I'm a newbie with oil shocks..I have a Minute 2. I'm having nearly the exact same problems as were first posted here. Major stiction mostly at the beginning of travel. You have to push pretty hard to get the thing moving. Not "supple" or "plush" whatsoever. Then I feel a clunking sound every once in a while that makes it seem like there is something inside that is moving around. I've been "breaking it in" for about 3 months now, 50 miles off road per week. Still sticky..still clunky.

Is it just a matter of removing the top caps and looking in, measuring down to where you see oil? Thanks

-mark

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To check the oil level, you unscrew the SPV top cap (24mm). It has a seal around it so once it's completely unscrewed, you will have to give it a good tug. You might consider having some extra 5wt oil around just in case you spill it like I did. Then once you have the top cap off, you measure from the top of the crown down to the top of the oil in the chamber. The oil levels listed in the service manual should be okay except for the Minute 1 (should be 84mm with the RTWD all the out for 130mm travel just like the others).

If that doesn't turn out to be your problem, you may want to disassemble the SPV and check for the 1mm gap as described on pg 10 of the service manual.

I'm going to do a separate post but if you need some semi-bath lube, Mobil 1 now has 5W-40. I picked up a quart at WalMart for $4.77. Looks like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks homebrew!

Cool. Thanks. Now I feel a little less intimidated to check it. Hope it improves things. I may end up calling Manitou as the winter approaches...

-mark

Homebrew said:
To check the oil level, you unscrew the SPV top cap (24mm). It has a seal around it so once it's completely unscrewed, you will have to give it a good tug. You might consider having some extra 5wt oil around just in case you spill it like I did. Then once you have the top cap off, you measure from the top of the crown down to the top of the oil in the chamber. The oil levels listed in the service manual should be okay except for the Minute 1 (should be 84mm with the RTWD all the out for 130mm travel just like the others).

If that doesn't turn out to be your problem, you may want to disassemble the SPV and check for the 1mm gap as described on pg 10 of the service manual.

I'm going to do a separate post but if you need some semi-bath lube, Mobil 1 now has 5W-40. I picked up a quart at WalMart for $4.77. Looks like this...

·
Deadhead Biker
117 Posts
oil check oil

i dont need to check it i just look for spots on my rim and floor!!! great products allright :confused: nice service if you dont mind sending your fork back multiple times while eatting the shipping cost..... ill never buy another manitou product :mad:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Homebrew said:

Does an engine motor oil of the same weight will be the same as the specific fork oil???...I'm just curious and I don't know...

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bullit_cn said:
Does an engine motor oil of the same weight will be the same as the specific fork oil???...I'm just curious and I don't know...
The Mobil 1 will work just fine for semi-bath.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Homebrew said:
The Mobil 1 will work just fine for semi-bath.

could you post a step by step instruction for a Minute fork oil change? Including proper oil levels. I am getting so many differing opinions on the oil levels.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yogreg said:
could you post a step by step instruction for a Minute fork oil change? Including proper oil levels. I am getting so many differing opinions on the oil levels.
Not sure where you are getting conflicting information (other than the service manual). The damping oil level is correct in the manual for all the forks except the Minute 1:00. It should read the same as the other 130mm forks, 3.3in (approx. 84mm). Be sure to wind the travel out to 130mm before checking oil level on the 1:00.

The 120cc is just plain wrong and about an inch too high. I'm not sure the correct oil volume. The best idea is to just measure the oil level.

To measure the oil level, I use a wood pencil and mark the desired level on it. I then stick the pencil in the damping chamber until it reaches the mark. If it's too full the pencil will have oil on the sides, if it's too low, the pencil will be dry. When it's just right, the oil will just be on the bottom of the pencil. With the old TPC(+) forks, you would have an inch or so of tolerance but with SPV you need to get as close to spec as possible.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I checked mine after reading this thread. Turns out I'm about 10mm too low, probably close to the correct height for a 5" fork, but mine's a 4" fork!!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bmadau said:
I checked mine after reading this thread. Turns out I'm about 10mm too low, probably close to the correct height for a 5" fork, but mine's a 4" fork!!
The service manual list the oil height at 2.9in, 74mm for the 100mm 2:00 so your level may be correct.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yeah, mine measures 3.3". I may have been incorrect, but I thought 3.3ish was the 5" fork's setting.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bmadau said:
Yeah, mine measures 3.3". I may have been incorrect, but I thought 3.3ish was the 5" fork's setting.
Too much then. 2.9in is probably what you want.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yogreg said:
can you use that Mobil oil for both the damping and semi-bath fluids?

Greg
No no no! The 5W-40 is for the semi-bath only. You need to get some straight 5wt fork oil for the damping. I get 5wt fork oil from my local motorcycle shop.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
be aware..........

Homebrew said:
I just changed the oil in my Minute 1:00 and WOW!!! What a difference! I absolutely take back any comments I made about this fork being harsh. It's absolutely smooth under all conditions. The SPV is now fully adjustable from negligible platform to full on.

When I checked the semi-bath oil, there wasn't much in there and what was there, thick and goopy. I replaced that with the 16cc per leg of the official semi-bath fluid.

Then checking my SPV oil level, I spilled it getting the top cap off so I had to replace (careful pulling off the top cap, it's tight). Per the teamdicky post below, I used the 83mm oil level. Unlike TPC forks, the oil level is much more critical for SPV. The difference on the trail is night and day. The fork is buttery smooth now. I only had petroleum based 5wt for the SPV and it feels great. I can only imagine it's a bit smoother with synthetic.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=278547#poststop

Bottom line, great fork but only if you double check your oil levels. I bet they lost out on more than a few customers due to the sloppy quality assurance on assembly.

Manitou said the old tech info of 16cc's semi bath is now been revised. They say 12 cc's is the correct amount, and that 16 cc's can stop the fork from getting full travel. Just some food for thought. 4 cc's difference is not likely enough to make much if any difference in service intervals or performance, you might want to call Manitou to be sure aboout your fork specifically. Plenty of good fork oils you can go buy, I am using the Torco racing synthetic fluid, have used the Motorex stock stuff, and there are other good synthetic 5wt. fluids you can use found in any moto shop, even Rock Shox 5 wt. oil would do fine. They run smoother in general than the petro based stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts