Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bike dork
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I may have missed it if it was posted earlier, but I did perform a long search. Does anyone know if the Minute will clear the DT on an older (green) KM?

Thx in advance,
Brendan

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that Cane Creek makes a headset that adds 5mm to the stack height. Designed to dodge the bullet on just this sort of problem.

The Cane Creek S-3 Plus 5.

--Greg
Looking ahead to one myself...

·
bike dork
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It works on a large frame at least (I was doing a little recon with my first post before I started the project). The bike rides great with the 100mm Minute, it does bring the bike up a little but it still handles great. I'm guessing that their is more offset with the Manitou and that it might help keep things from being too raked out even thought the a-c is longer. It's still a nice neutral handler with the added bonus of some travel. I think my KM went faster than it's ever gone on some of the bonier stuff on my local loop. I'm not sureif it's ever seen that much air under it's wheels either :D I'll post some pics in a day or so....

·
Pwning Trails
197 Posts
I'm looking at putting a manitou minute on a XL karate monkey.. is that the 80mm model? I believe I've heard that 80mm is the right choice for the KM? Someone questioned whether the crown will clear? How do you know if it will? Thanks a bunch!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
From a geometry perspective, I'd only put the 80mm Minute on the S sized KM. For larger sizes, the 80mm would end up quite quick handling (borderline nervous). Essentially like the On-One Inbred was designed to be, to overwhelm 26" riders and journalists.
At 100mm, the KM would become super close in numbers to the rigid Redline Flight. Read its reviews for reference, and make sure to ignore mine.
120mm on a KM, wow. That'll void warranty most likely, but make a very fun bike, with a nice Russian Roulette style standover height :)

·
bike dork
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine rode great with the 100mm fork, I went back to rigid after I needed the Manitou for my Niner. The only thing I heard/read that concerned me was the potential issue of the small head tube on the KM being paired with a longer fork. I rode it pretty hard and wasn't too worried about it, but I also never stacked on it with the Manitou.

Handling wise it was great, no climbing issues and it basically retained that neutral handling the KM is known for. If anything it brought the low BB up a bit which was a plus.

·
Pwning Trails
197 Posts
Thanks man, unfortunately jenson only has the 120 and the 80mm on sale. I'm sure the 80mm will be fine, but I wonder how much its going to suck up of the riding I do. On one hand I love my current ride with the rigid, so 80mm will prolly be nice to offset the pains of downhill , but I wonder if I'll want more then the 80mm when it's not taking the larger drops I'm sure I'll try hehe. My riding is mostly XC/AM ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.