Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of this fork, is it stiff, smooth, etc ?

Im talking about the 2011 model, 100 mm of travel.

I will be using it in a bit harder type of Cross Country.

What fork would be similar to it in Fox or RockShox?
Reba? Tora?

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The Damper in the new Manitou stuff is one of the best you can get. The Minute is at the top of the Manitou lineup, and is as stiff as any 32mm stanction fork. It also has a coil/air spring that is very smooth and has a buttery feel. Its a great buy IMO, But I am admittedly a Manitou guy after having issues with Rock Shox and Marzocchi.. Never used a Fox fork, so I dont have an opinion on them.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
mullen119 said:
The Damper in the new Manitou stuff is one of the best you can get. The Minute is at the top of the Manitou lineup, and is as stiff as any 32mm stanction fork. It also has a coil/air spring that is very smooth and has a buttery feel. Its a great buy IMO, But I am admittedly a Manitou guy after having issues with Rock Shox and Marzocchi.. Never used a Fox fork, so I dont have an opinion on them.
I have/had forks from the main manufacturers Fox, Manitou, RS, and Marz. I've had good ones in all of them. I've had the least overall satisfaction from Fox, though I love my Van 36 with a mod to the damper cart. The Minute is a very solid fork. It is easily the equal of a Reba or similar RS fork. If you're getting it at a good price, get it. I don't think you'll regret it.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
mullen119 said:
The Damper in the new Manitou stuff is one of the best you can get. The Minute is at the top of the Manitou lineup, and is as stiff as any 32mm stanction fork. It also has a coil/air spring that is very smooth and has a buttery feel. Its a great buy IMO
I completely agree. The Minute is a great work which many people overlook to their loss. It's a fork which doesn't really have any weaknesses. I'd run all Manitou if I didn't have my reasons for running Fox.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
bad mechanic said:
I completely agree. The Minute is a great work which many people overlook to their loss. It's a fork which doesn't really have any weaknesses. I'd run all Manitou if I didn't have my reasons for running Fox.
Is your reason for running fox because they sell directly to the public? I have wanted to try a fox just for that reason, but the cost of fox products has kept me away. I have found Manitou to be the best products for a given price(which seems to way under the MSRP). The price to performance ratio is the main reason I like Manitou so much.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
mullen119 said:
Is your reason for running fox because they sell directly to the public? I have wanted to try a fox just for that reason, but the cost of fox products has kept me away. I have found Manitou to be the best products for a given price(which seems to way under the MSRP). The price to performance ratio is the main reason I like Manitou so much.
That's a huuuuge part of it. Considering I do all my own work (plus all my friends' work), it's a major consideration for me. I love being to just give them a call and have the part within a week. They've even faxed me over parts diagrams.

Additionally I like them because they're easy to maintain, and I love the Float spring (by far the best design I've seen).

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
bad mechanic said:
That's a huuuuge part of it. Considering I do all my own work (plus all my friends' work), it's a major consideration for me. I love being to just give them a call and have the part within a week. They've even faxed me over parts diagrams.

Additionally I like them because they're easy to maintain, and I love the Float spring (by far the best design I've seen).
I can see that being a benefit. I'm lucky and found a good small shop near me that is great to deal with. I have ordered a few parts for my fork and a shock I use to have and the shop actually follows through and gets the part in my hands in 5 business days. Every other shop near me wont even return my calls most the time.

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
assas1n said:
Whats the differences between the different levels???
Expert, Pro, MRD, etc???

Thanks
Materials... There's lots of info on the interweb about them, especially from Interbike reports.

They all have the same damper though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm did a search on interbikes, but only thing i could find, was about the Dorado downhill fork.

Would you be so kind of posting the link to the expert, pro, mrd, etc info?

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
assas1n said:
Hmm did a search on interbikes, but only thing i could find, was about the Dorado downhill fork.

Would you be so kind of posting the link to the expert, pro, mrd, etc info?

Thanks !
Manitou doesnt seem to have budget to keep there website updated, so the difference between the pro and expert is hard to find information on because there was no pro and expert until 2011, so its still new. The last few years, there was just the regular Minute and the Minute MRD, With the MRD having a lighter weight crown and a lighter weight cartridge damper. I read somewhere that the Pro would have some steel parts rather then aluminum on the expert. The best way to get good information on Manitou products is to email them at: [email protected]

Manitou has some of the best performing forks(and shock) out there, but the lack of available information about them(due to a very low marking budget) keeps a lot of people from using there products. They have been a great company to deal with. Anytime I needed any information or parts, I get what I need very quickly. But not being able to go to Manitous website and get information without having to contact them can be annoying. There website still shows mostly 2009 products.:madman:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks !

Yeah, ive heard many good opinions about Manitou forks, even my brother who rode mtb in the John Tomac era, remembers them, since Tomar used a manitou fork :D

I will be a new customer of manitou when my forks arrives in a couple of weeks!! Anxious !

Also, did some recomendations here in Chile about it, so maybe more people here will turn to Manitou !

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have not used Manitou products for over 6 years and am interested in the 2011 Minute Pro. What issues have people had with the forks for the past couple years? I road a Skareb for a short period of time and had no complaints with it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
offrhodes42 said:
I have not used Manitou products for over 6 years and am interested in the 2011 Minute Pro. What issues have people had with the forks for the past couple years? I road a Skareb for a short period of time and had no complaints with it.
I Have not had any issues with any of the Manitou products I have owned. I broke the rebound knob on my fork, but that was my fault and a replacement was easy to get.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts