Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
3321 - 3340 of 3744 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I think the Mezzer Pro will never make it on pre-built bikes as it's just too complicated to set up for the average rider. There would be constant complaints about it being sucked down and not working right.
The expert version was a good move by Manitou and with limited bike parts availability I would hope to see that product on several mid-tier builds.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Too lazy for words
42 Posts
Off the top stiction on Mezzer pro.

I did a lower leg service on my Mezzer. It has about 25 hr ride time on it and the 2nd time taking it apart.

I also added 10mm of travel from 160mm to 170mm.

Head angle is about on low 63 degress on a Mullet MegaSmash.

I did not have any noticeable stiction when I first got it and it was on 160mm even when its been sitting for a while.

Apart from travel change, I use supergliss 100k (20cc each leg) this time for the bath oil and mixed slickoleum+supergliss 100k on the sliding bits.

There is now noticeable stiction off the top and requires about more or less 5 lbs of force to break it loose.

It has been on a warmer side here whenever I ride about 60-70F.

It feels less plush now on small bumps even with reduced pressure on Main and IRT. 5 psi less.

Fork still staying high on its travel and have good midstroke support but could not reach the last 20% of travel on the same hits where I usually bottom out.

Did I messed something up?

·
Registered
10,341 Posts

I did a lower leg service on my Mezzer. It has about 25 hr ride time on it and the 2nd time taking it apart.

I did not have any noticeable stiction when I first got it and it was on 160mm even when its been sitting for a while.

Apart from travel change, I use supergliss 100k (20cc each leg) this time for the bath oil and mixed slickoleum+supergliss 100k on the sliding bits.

There is now noticeable stiction off the top and requires about more or less 5 lbs of force to break it loose.

It feels less plush now on small bumps even with reduced pressure on Main and IRT. 5 psi less.

Fork still staying high on its travel and have good midstroke support but could not reach the last 20% of travel on the same hits where I usually bottom out.

It's most likely the air-spring main quad-ring. You can downsize it which will help.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,659 Posts

Subscribed.

I just went from 150 - 170 and noticed exactly same thing. I dropped the air significantly hoping that plushness comes back, but feels same. There is a kink for lack of better words that you need to push thru on initial compress then that goes away until it sits for a while. Other than that same symptoms. I am running the Motorex 5w40.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Calling Dougal for this one. Myself and riding buddies of mine all have Mezzers.

Myself 1x Mezzer Pro
1x Mezzer Pro LE
Buddy 1
1x Mezzer Pro
1x Mezzer Pro LE
Buddy 2
1x Mezzer Pro

We all run Motorex 2.5wt in them. Myself and Buddy 1 are almost the same weight 210lb.

In my LE I need to run 73/103psi to achieve a supportive balanced ride while on his Pros he only needs to run 58/90psi for the same riding. Is this to do with a firmer tune? There is also what feels like significantly less stiction on both pairs of LE's compared to the standard Pro's.

Also both Buddy 1 & 2 have had CSU's replaced on their Pro's. One can only assume these forks were from the same batch.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Calling Dougal for this one. Myself and riding buddies of mine all have Mezzers.

Myself 1x Mezzer Pro
1x Mezzer Pro LE
Buddy 1
1x Mezzer Pro
1x Mezzer Pro LE
Buddy 2
1x Mezzer Pro

We all run Motorex 2.5wt in them. Myself and Buddy 1 are almost the same weight 210lb.

In my LE I need to run 103/73psi to achieve a supportive balanced ride while on his Pros he only needs to run 58/90psi for the same riding. Is this to do with a firmer tune? There is also what feels like significantly less stiction on both pairs of LE's compared to the standard Pro's.

Also both Buddy 1 & 2 have had CSU's replaced on their Pro's. One can only assume these forks were from the same batch.
You really made this hard by swapping around the pressure readings. 103//73 isn't that far from 90/58psi. A decent change in bike geometry or riding position can do that.
Compression damping is the same. Rebound damping changed, MY21 is faster/lighter rebound damping.

I have also noticed less breakaway stiction on my LE but I haven't tracked down where it is different. I know they changed from quad-rings to o-rings on the damper shaft but I don't know if that is the only difference.

I pressed apart a scratched Mezzer CSU for curiousities sake and they're the tightest stanchion fits I've found since the Manitou Travis.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's the new Warden but has Delirium shock stroke (65mm) for about 170mm travel. It's heavy but I'm loving it. Check out the 3x11 drivetrain!
Nice. They're definitely on the heavy side but mine was only about a month old when it took a rock strike that would of ended a carbon frame.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You really made this hard by swapping around the pressure readings. 103//73 isn't that far from 90/58psi. A decent change in bike geometry or riding position can do that.
Compression damping is the same. Rebound damping changed, MY21 is faster/lighter rebound damping.

I have also noticed less breakaway stiction on my LE but I haven't tracked down where it is different. I know they changed from quad-rings to o-rings on the damper shaft but I don't know if that is the only difference.

I pressed apart a scratched Mezzer CSU for curiousities sake and they're the tightest stanchion fits I've found since the Manitou Travis.
Apologies for the pressure swap order.

I have tried my LE pressures (103/73) in the MY20 and they were very firm to the point of being difficult to compress a decent amount. Just curious as to what the difference is between them.

Good to know that change. The noticeably less breakaway stiction is a nice improvement.

The creaking wasn't Fox 38 bad but it was enough to cause annoyance while riding. Both bike have HA's of 62.5 and 64 which doesn't help. Nevertheless they have been warrantied and I'm issue free still.

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Apologies for the pressure swap order.

I have tried my LE pressures (103/73) in the MY20 and they were very firm to the point of being difficult to compress a decent amount. Just curious as to what the difference is between them.

Good to know that change. The noticeably less breakaway stiction is a nice improvement.

The creaking wasn't Fox 38 bad but it was enough to cause annoyance while riding. Both bike have HA's of 62.5 and 64 which doesn't help. Nevertheless they have been warrantied and I'm issue free still.
Sounds kinda like negative chamber isn't filling properly. Check the pumps are screwed all the way on and test the connection by pushing the fork all the way down with the pump on and seeing if it stays there.
The internals are all the same with the LE. I'm running the same pressures with the same result from my previous black Pro to my silver LE.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I had same thing, notch at top of travel, after service.

Fixed it by loosening air spring seal head.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Banshee Titan, Ragley Bluepig
332 Posts
Can you explain how you did that?
You know how the sealhead screws into the stanchion with a cassette tool instead of RS/fox style circlip? well if that is overtightened it will expand the OD of the stanchion juuust enough to make it feel tighter in the bushing

3321 - 3340 of 3744 Posts