Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3021 - 3040 of 3053 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have in mind that someone here did a bushing burnishing. What diameter was used for the burnishing and was it compared/aligned with the real diameter of the stanchion?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I burnished mine. I purchased my burnisher from Oliver and he recommended a 37.08mm burnisher which is what I went with. My calipers show 36.99mm stanchions. Might just be .01mm off.

Search YouTube for some results videos. I'd be happy to burnish for others for cheap if you don't want to buy the tool, but I'm sure shipping will add to the cost.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I burnished mine. I purchased my burnisher from Oliver and he recommended a 37.08mm burnisher which is what I went with. My calipers show 36.99mm stanchions. Might just be .01mm off.

Search YouTube for some results videos. I'd be happy to burnish for others for cheap if you don't want to buy the tool, but I'm sure shipping will add to the cost.
Where are you located?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
12,186 Posts
Whereabouts?

I'm through the NE portion a couple of times per year. In fact I like it so much, I'm currently shopping for a place in North Santa Fe.

I must like any and all pro-Santa Fe posts I stumble across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys i have one tiny concern about the mezzer. Since it has 3 air chambers, that equals more seals hence more friction. If you have found a perfect setup, how close it was to a coil fork in terms of breakaway sticktion?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Guys i have one tiny concern about the mezzer. Since it has 3 air chambers, that equals more seals hence more friction. If you have found a perfect setup, how close it was to a coil fork in terms of breakaway sticktion?
No air fork is as good as a coil in relation to breakaway stiction. Mezzer feels much better on the trail than it does in the car park test.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
There is no difference in breakaway friction compared to a 2 chamber fork, the 3rd chamber doesn't come into play until well into the stroke and it is imperceptible when it starts moving.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Mezzer is a fantastic fork but you won't confuse it for a coil fork.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Here's a graph of force on a freshly assembled Mezzer. This is reading basically no breakaway stiction. But the seals do grab a little if it's been sitting for a day.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,513 Posts
I recently noticed my Mezzer Pro loosing its small bump sensitivity and feeling stiff. I checked the air and the IRT was significantly higher and the main was low.
I started at 98 / 68 and on check was at 120 / 62. I re-adjusted and hoping that great feel comes back. I am probably about ~20 hours into a lower oil change.

Any idea's what is happening here?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I recently noticed my Mezzer Pro loosing its small bump sensitivity and feeling stiff. I checked the air and the IRT was significantly higher and the main was low.
I started at 98 / 68 and on check was at 120 / 62. I re-adjusted and hoping that great feel comes back. I am probably about ~20 hours into a lower oil change.

Either the IRT piston was getting bound up and not returning to full stroke. Or, the main chamber burped air into the IRT chamber during some number of bottom out compressions.

If there was normal damage to the IRT seal, I'd expect the pressure to equalize at rest. So, your case suggests that it only leaks at speed, or in a certain position in the stanchion. I'd look for damage inside the top of the stanchion, inspect the seal, and make sure everything is well greased.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
841 Posts

My fork does the same, must be transferring air on bigger hits. Every so often I just reset the pressures.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts

My suspicion would be a seal without enough lube chattering instead of sliding freely. Burping a bit of air at the top of stroke as it does so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
Could you have look at it?
I just took rebound stack apart and see that I have much more shims than you were writing here.
Totally there are 11 shims.

1. Is it possible that they put more shims in my fork?
It is from August 2020, bought together with the bike Vitus.

2. Is it possible that I feel fork too much painful for my hand because of too many shims?

3. So in this case which shims should I remove?

4. Is there any necessary to flatten those 2 curved shims?
:)

Attachments

3021 - 3040 of 3053 Posts