Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3053 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Manitou Mezzer is here! lets get into some details!

37mm Chassis that is the stiffest single crown fork on the market.

Torsionally, the Mezzer is 30% stiffer than a Fox 36, 16% stiffer than a Ohlins RFX36, 1% stiffer than a Lyrik

Fore-aft, the Mezzer is 7% stiffer than a 36, 20% stiffer than a RFX, and 4% stiffer than a Lyrik

140mm-180mm travel in both 27.5" and 29" wheel sizes. Boost 110 only. 37mm and 44mm offsets available for the 27.5 forks, 44mm and 51mm for 29"

2000g for a 180mm 27.5' fork

Dorado air spring with larger negative air chamber for linear initial stroke, IRT chamber volume has been reduced to add progression for the big hits.

Bladder style MC2 damper to reduce friction. 5 clicks HSC, 10 clicks LSC, 12 clicks LSR.

HBO circuit provides extra bottom out resistance for the last 30mm of the stroke. No external adjustment ( The IRT volume adjustment provides enough progressiveness that its not needed)

Bladder cartridge has a blow of valve (BOV) to prevent it from over filling between services. No ruptured bladders here.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thanks Nick!

Couple questions:

-when does the Mara make it on the website?

-why are the lowers still aluminum? is that just for cost?

-how did they make this lighter than a Fox 36 using AL lowers?

-the spec weight is pretty much the same as the Mattoc, what did they do to compensate for the weight of the larger chassis to come in at same weight?

-what other "unprecedented features" does it have (besides stanchion size)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as I know, the lowers are magnesium on all the Manitou forks. I dont have any info stating they are aluminum

a lot of time and design went into making the Mezzer the stiffest chassis as possible at the lowest weight. 37mm stanchions are not just a marketing ploy to be bigger than everyone else. Testing showed they had the best strength to weight ratio.

The fully sealed bladder damper is a big deal as well. lighter weight, higher performance. The BOV is a patent pending design to solve the biggest issue that bladder style cartridges have.

Make no mistake, this is not meant to be a budget fork. This fork was designed to be the best on the market.

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
SUPER bummed its another damned sealed damper. What's the service procedure like?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats best features! Exactly what mattoc lacks.
In reality, the Mattoc was designed to be a trail fork to compete with the Fox 34. The spring was tuned accordingly. With no Mezzer in the line up, people used it as a Pike/36 alternative. It did a great job punching above its weight class, but now it can fall back into place where it belongs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
In reality, the Mattoc was designed to be a trail fork to compete with the Fox 34. The spring was tuned accordingly. With no Mezzer in the line up, people used it as a Pike/36 alternative. It did a great job punching above its weight class, but now it can fall back into place where it belongs.
so initial sensitivity is not allowed for trial riding? cmon... I know you will always have an answer :)

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
37mm Chassis that is the stiffest single crown fork on the market.

Torsionally, the Mezzer is 30% stiffer than a Fox 36, 16% stiffer than a Ohlins RFX36, 1% stiffer than a Lyrik

Fore-aft, the Mezzer is 7% stiffer than a 36, 20% stiffer than a RFX, and 4% stiffer than a Lyrik
Who did this testing and what methods were used? I would like to see the data.

·
Registered
687 Posts
SUPER bummed its another damned sealed damper. What's the service procedure like?
doesnt matter. It has to be lightest in its class. Not so far ago Manitou lovers was saying bladder is shitty solution.

PS joking a little bit. Im stoked to ride this fork.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
as far as I know, the lowers are magnesium on all the Manitou forks. I dont have any info stating they are aluminum

Make no mistake, this is not meant to be a budget fork. This fork was designed to be the best on the market.
thanks. the marketing copy still shows "7050 aluminum" listed for leg material.

anyway to verify this? i think it would attract more buyers if mag, absent pics of verified weights.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doesnt matter. It has to be lightest in its class. Not so far ago Manitou lovers was saying bladder is shitty solution.

PS joking a little bit. Im stoked to ride this fork.
Just my personal opinion, but bladder style dampers were issues in the past. I personally blew up 2 charger dampers (ruptured bladders), both times they had less than 20 hours on them. This is the issue with bladder style dampers.

There is no such thing as a perfect seal, bath oil will migrate past the rebound shaft seal into the damper on all designs. That is why the damper has a blow off to purge excess oil. Performance advantages of the bladder system without (my opinion) the biggest drawback.

As for servicing, I cant answer that as I have not worked on one. Manitou is pretty good at making products user serviceable, so I suspect it will be fairly easy for a tech savvy user.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am not sure of the testing method, but I believe there are plots of the data. I will try to dig them up if I can (Im not a Manitou or Hayes employee, so my access is limited)
interested in methods just because i didn't know Lyriks were regarded as significantly stiffer than Fox 36. pretty cool.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but bladder style dampers were issues in the past. I personally blew up 2 charger dampers (ruptured bladders), both times they had less than 20 hours on them. This is the issue with bladder style dampers.

There is no such thing as a perfect seal, bath oil will migrate past the rebound shaft seal into the damper on all designs. That is why the damper has a blow off to purge excess oil. Performance advantages of the bladder system without (my opinion) the biggest drawback.

As for servicing, I cant answer that as I have not worked on one. Manitou is pretty good at making products user serviceable, so I suspect it will be fairly easy for a tech savvy user.
I will not defend charger, but owned pike and own boxxer. None blew out. None migrate oil. I have mattoc. Oil migration into negative spring chamber and into damper. Its not perfect but its damper is superior.

Anyway I hope mezzer is closest to perfect than the rest of its competitor. At least details are promising. If its mattoc with improved volumes of air spring, stiffer with more travel, less seal drag in damper. Thats the winner.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will not defend charger, but owned pike and own boxxer. None blew out. None migrate oil. I have mattoc. Oil migration into negative spring chamber and into damper. Its not perfect but its damper is superior.

Anyway I hope mezzer is closest to perfect than the rest of its competitor. At least details are promising. If its mattoc with improved volumes of air spring, stiffer with more travel, less seal drag in damper. Thats the winner.
In Rock shox defense, both the dampers I ruptured where charger 1 dampers with seal heads that were redesigned after the first year. they still ingest oil, but not at the rate they did at first and ruptures have been regulated to those who dont service their forks. The blow off on the MC2 just lengthens service intervals to prevent possible issues.

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
interested in methods just because i didn't know Lyriks were regarded as significantly stiffer than Fox 36. pretty cool.
Yep, i remember reading one of those german mags testing fork deflection on a work bench and their results didn't jive with my own experience. Did a little testing on my own with a torque wrench and realized they were basically testing how tight the build tolerances were- their torque value was too low for it to mean anything on the trail.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not familiar with the workings of Manitou forks .

How does the progression work? How us it adjusted??

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 3053 Posts