Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of semi-bath oils I can use in my Manitou Mezzer Pro fork? I've asked in the Manitou fork thread and no response. They just point me to the Manitou Owners thread, that suggests Supergliss and Motorex Motorex Power Synt 4t 5w40. Neither of which can be easily purchased in the United States, or at all. I'm not 100% sure, and don't want to use something that would void my warranty, but I'm guessing I can use other oils than just those two?

If so, what are the best oils I CAN use for my fork? I just need to get something soon, not looking to special order from some other country and wait weeks or months. I don't care if it's not the tip top of the line oil. As long as it's really good and works in my fork, that's all I care about.

Thank you

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of semi-bath oils I can use in my Manitou Mezzer Pro fork? I've asked in the Manitou fork thread and no response. They just point me to the Manitou Owners thread, that suggests Supergliss and Motorex Motorex Power Synt 4t 5w40. Neither of which can be easily purchased in the United States, or at all. I'm not 100% sure, and don't want to use something that would void my warranty, but I'm guessing I can use other oils than just those two?

If so, what are the best oils I CAN use for my fork? I just need to get something soon, not looking to special order from some other country and wait weeks or months. I don't care if it's not the tip top of the line oil. As long as it's really good and works in my fork, that's all I care about.

Thank you

Have you tried calling that number in the manitou owners thread that aledgedly if you call it you can order supergliss from?

I would call for you, but it is long distance to use it from here so I am going to leave that for others to deal with - I acquired my supergliss supply from Dougal - it was painless and the amount of time you have been asking questions you would already have had it from shockcraft.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You can get Motorex Power Synt 4t 5w40 at most motorcycle shops in the US.
I will have to call the local motorcycle store and see if they carry this or the Supergliss.

Also, I see 4t 5W40 Motorex oil, but it says motor oil on it. Then I see 4t 5W40 Motorex oil that says Racing Blend Fork oil. And all sort of other variations. But none that just say Power Synt 4t 5w40 Fork oil. No idea which one of these I need and that is useable for my fork to keep it under warranty.

Also, still looking for anyone to suggest other types of Fork oils I can use that are high quality and will work in my Mezzer Pro.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I just ordered some this morning:

Note that they also have 2.5wt fork oil as well for dampers:

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
I will have to call the local motorcycle store and see if they carry this or the Supergliss.

Also, I see 4t 5W40 Motorex oil, but it says motor oil on it. Then I see 4t 5W40 Motorex oil that says Racing Blend Fork oil. And all sort of other variations. But none that just say Power Synt 4t 5w40 Fork oil. No idea which one of these I need and that is useable for my fork to keep it under warranty.

Also, still looking for anyone to suggest other types of Fork oils I can use that are high quality and will work in my Mezzer Pro.

Thanks
You can use anything without damaging the fork. But there is a massive difference in how slippery oils are. Even within the same type and grade.
All 5W40 engine oils do not lubricate the same.
All slideway oils (like Supergliss) do not lubricate the same.

If you stick to brands and formulations that others have found to work well, you're good. Otherwise you're pioneering.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Personally I use WPL 20 weight or Fox Gold 20 for lowers, as both are easily obtainable in the USA. I would run Supergliss if it weren’t such a pain to get here.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's simply a 5W-40 synthetic motor oil, go to your local auto parts store, plenty to choose from on the shelf.
Don't do this. Automotive 5w-40 has all kinds of additives not found in motorcycle engine oil, many of which may damage the seals in your fork. Get the Motorex Power Synt 4T oil in TimTucker's Chapmoto.com link above (also available from other moto retailers). That oil is 100% exactly the same as the Manitou-branded bath oil, except it costs $18/L instead of $13/100 mL.

You might be able to use a random 5w-40 automotive oil and have it work out OK. But, considering how readily available and cheap the proper Motorex oil is it's silly to risk using anything else in your very expensive fork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.