Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations on either of these two. Would like good small bump compliance with mid stroke support (not divey) and ease of maintenance. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
Mezzer. No contest.

Full disclosure: I'm a Manitou distributor and Hayes test rider. I also upgrade and tune Lyriks.

Impartial reasons:
Mezzer has a far better damper with better sensitivity, support and adjustment range.
Mezzer has HBO (hydraulic bottom out).
Mezzer has a far better air spring with three chambers (positive, negative and second positive chamber (IRT) for seperate mid to end stroke tuning).
Mezzer is travel adjust by clip in spacers, no need to buy air-shafts.
It just works better.

It takes a lot of money to make a Lyrik perform like the Mezzer. You're talking Vorsprung smashpot and damper modifications/tuning. We have customers that do that.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Tuned in. Invading this thread as I'm looking to get a new fork and the Lyric and Mezzer are my top two.

The Mezzer sounds better by what the suspension guru's are saying on these boards - at least regarding the damper and air spring. But for as bad as some folks say the Lyric's damping is I've seen a lot of pretty fast dudes using that fork.

I do like not having to buy a separate rod to change travel. On the other hand I can likely get a rod for less than the Mezzer tool kit it appears one would need to work on that fork.

The Mezzer, IMO has not been out long enough to tease out all the potential QC issues. The Lyric has been beat and dialed for a long time so might be considered potentially more reliable.

Resale on a Lyric might be better as folks are more likely to buy something that is more common, or that they already have experience with.

Personally I can tear down RS forks for simple service super fast. Not sure how hard that sort of thing is with the Mez.

Probably just live with what I have and see how things shake out with the Mez then maybe get one in the Spring.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mezzer. No contest.

Full disclosure: I'm a Manitou distributor and Hayes test rider. I also upgrade and tune Lyriks.

Impartial reasons:
Mezzer has a far better damper with better sensitivity, support and adjustment range.
Mezzer has HBO (hydraulic bottom out).
Mezzer has a far better air spring with three chambers (positive, negative and second positive chamber (IRT) for seperate mid to end stroke tuning).
Mezzer is travel adjust by clip in spacers, no need to buy air-shafts.
It just works better.

It takes a lot of money to make a Lyrik perform like the Mezzer. You're talking Vorsprung smashpot and damper modifications/tuning. We have customers that do that.
Stock Mezzer vs tune Lyrik?

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
Tuned in. Invading this thread as I'm looking to get a new fork and the Lyric and Mezzer are my top two.

The Mezzer sounds better by what the suspension guru's are saying on these boards - at least regarding the damper and air spring. But for as bad as some folks say the Lyric's damping is I've seen a lot of pretty fast dudes using that fork.

I do like not having to buy a separate rod to change travel. On the other hand I can likely get a rod for less than the Mezzer tool kit it appears one would need to work on that fork.

The Mezzer, IMO has not been out long enough to tease out all the potential QC issues. The Lyric has been beat and dialed for a long time so might be considered potentially more reliable.

Resale on a Lyric might be better as folks are more likely to buy something that is more common, or that they already have experience with.

Personally I can tear down RS forks for simple service super fast. Not sure how hard that sort of thing is with the Mez.

Probably just live with what I have and see how things shake out with the Mez then maybe get one in the Spring.

Good luck.
The Mezzer has nuts on the bottom so the only special tools needed for work is a slotted cassette tool.
The reduced diameter 8mm socket and 24mm flat face socket for the Mattoc isn't needed for this one.

The lower nuts also make service very quick and easy. No crush washers and no hammer tapping. For travel change the lower legs hold all the bath oil. Take them off horizontal and it's only drips on the shaft to deal with.

The only new parts on the Mezzer that could be perceived as a risk is the bladder on the cartridge damper. This is a new design feature for Manitou. Everything else is existing tech upsized a few mm.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
The Mezzer has nuts on the bottom so the only special tools needed for work is a slotted cassette tool.
The reduced diameter 8mm socket and 24mm flat face socket for the Mattoc isn't needed for this one.

The lower nuts also make service very quick and easy. No crush washers and no hammer tapping. For travel change the lower legs hold all the bath oil. Take them off horizontal and it's only drips on the shaft to deal with.

The only new parts on the Mezzer that could be perceived as a risk is the bladder on the cartridge damper. This is a new design feature for Manitou. Everything else is existing tech upsized a few mm.
Nice. Thanks.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,173 Posts
There is another consideration - Axle to Crown. If you're particular about getting the shortest fork with the most amount of travel, the Mezzer is a 7mm longer than the 36.

It also gets slightly heavier as you shorten it. It's the lightest 180mm 29er fork available, but on the flip side its slightly heavier than the 36 or Lyrik at 140mm.

In pretty much every other way its superior to the Lyrik and 36. It has the best stock air spring of any fork aside from a dual chamber cartridge or Luftkappe (which are add-ons).

I've kinda chosen the Mezzer as my next fork, and the only way I'd not buy it (sometime next year) is if Rockshox or Fox significantly lighten their long travel forks while adding stiffness, or if someone releases a travel adjustable coil fork (with spring weight for a 250lbs rider and a good damper) that is under 2100g. We'll see how long Manitou can retain this lead.

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
There is another consideration - Axle to Crown. If you're particular about getting the shortest fork with the most amount of travel, the Mezzer is a 7mm longer than the 36.

It also gets slightly heavier as you shorten it. It's the lightest 180mm 29er fork available, but on the flip side its slightly heavier than the 36 or Lyrik at 140mm.

In pretty much every other way its superior to the Lyrik and 36. It has the best stock air spring of any fork aside from a dual chamber cartridge or Luftkappe (which are add-ons).

I've kinda chosen the Mezzer as my next fork, and the only way I'd not buy it (sometime next year) is if Rockshox or Fox significantly lighten their long travel forks while adding stiffness, or if someone releases a travel adjustable coil fork (with spring weight for a 250lbs rider and a good damper) that is under 2100g. We'll see how long Manitou can retain this lead.
Mezzer crown is 3mm thicker than a F36 (just measured both, 25 vs 28mm). The rest of the A-C difference will be tyre clearance.

·
3,173 Posts
7mm is also probably the amount my fork sags everytime I take a pedal stroke, so I'm not fretting over it. Especially for a fork that can go to 11.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
As someone that has a recent (DebonAir) Lyrik with Charger2 damper and has been WAITING for a long(er) travel Manitou Enduro/Trail fork I can tell you that I am just about ready to jump ship.

It seems that I have been fighting with this damn Lyrik since the day I purchased and cannot seem to make hyde nor hair of what is going on with it. Some days it is plush and nice (now that I have removed the Ramp Control) but other days it feels like a damn ridged fork. Like last night, could not for the life of me get the initial stroke plushness that I had a few weeks ago once I had removed the Ramp Control. Aside from running super low pressures there really is no difference. I am borrowing a ShockWiz and changing settings but damn if this thing does not want to play nice.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind running and tweaking a fork/shock for a bit but when it has been MONTHS of doing that now... yeah I am about done.

·
3,173 Posts
Seems hypocritical. Is it possible to fat-shame a fork?
I'm a data analyst by trade. It's worth noting the small differences between products, especially when your paying $1000 for it. Some consumers will say "I don't care about the little details as long as it rides good." Otherwise will say "I need it to weight exactly 2000g or I'm returning it."

People won't buy the fork because of its reverse arch. Some people will only buy Fox forks because they like the white lowers. Some won't buy Manitou at all because of the old "Manipoo" nickname. Some people will Marzocchi with a more basic Grip damper because Marzocchi invokes freeride and freeride isnt dead.

At least my criticisms, however minute, are based on differences that have some impact (even if imperceptible) while the vast majority of consumers buy stuff CUZ IT LOOKS SICK BRO!

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I don't have either...option A) Avvy tuned Lyrik or Marz Z1 or B) buy a Mezzer
So wait... you are talking Apples to Oranges to Mangos here?
Avy Tuned Lyrik - specifically created for you, your weight, your terrain, your riding style, etc. Average cost would range in the $1500 area unless purchasing a used Lyrik, then closer to $1k+

Manitou Mezzer - new fork on the market, little feedback but has proceeding reputation of its littler brother the Mattoc. Most will agree that it has the potential to be a great fork, just not enough varying data yet. Average cost is $1k.

Marzocchi Z1 - Basically a Vanilla Fox fork but with some updates. Has old Marz name and Fox backing (depending on your thoughts of Fox could be good or bad). Average cost is like $600 I believe.

So you got lots going on here.

·
Premium Member
10,736 Posts
I don't have either...option A) Avvy tuned Lyrik or Marz Z1 or B) buy a Mezzer
I have a Bomber Z1, it rides very well, Grip damper works well, it's a slightly stiffer and heavier chasis than a 36, also more reasonablely priced. I dropped a Smashpot in mine and it went from an eight to an eleven. Downside = heavy.

I ain't rode a Mezzer, but I trust Dougal in his assessments.

If I was getting an air fork and I had the dough, I'd try a Mezzer.

On a budget and don't want the weight of a coil, the Bomber Z1 or equivalent Fox works well.

But if you want a coil feel and don't care about weight, I'd get a Z1 Grip or a 36 Grip2 and add a Smashpot.

Edit: I didn't know the Mezzer had a hydraulic bottom out, this is a sweet deal, I have one in my Smashpot and it works great, can't even tell it's there, but it is.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So wait... you are talking Apples to Oranges to Mangos here?
Avy Tuned Lyrik - specifically created for you, your weight, your terrain, your riding style, etc. Average cost would range in the $1500 area unless purchasing a used Lyrik, then closer to $1k+

Manitou Mezzer - new fork on the market, little feedback but has proceeding reputation of its littler brother the Mattoc. Most will agree that it has the potential to be a great fork, just not enough varying data yet. Average cost is $1k.

Marzocchi Z1 - Basically a Vanilla Fox fork but with some updates. Has old Marz name and Fox backing (depending on your thoughts of Fox could be good or bad). Average cost is like $600 I believe.

So you got lots going on here.
The premise of what I'm tossing around in my head is basically between tuning a common fork, in my case a used Lyric or new Z1's, or step up to a new higher tech platform. Tuning is $400, used Lyrik or new Z1 are $700, so call it $1100 all in. New Mezzer is $1k, so within spitting distance.

I've spoken with Craig @ Avvy, he's a big proponent of the Z1's if you are going to be tuning.....

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have a Bomber Z1, it rides very well, Grip damper works well, it's a slightly stiffer and heavier chasis than a 36, also more reasonablely priced. I dropped a Smashpot in mine and it went from an eight to an eleven. Downside = heavy.

I ain't rode a Mezzer, but I trust Dougal in his assessments.

If I was getting an air fork and I had the dough, I'd try a Mezzer.

On a budget and don't want the weight of a coil, the Bomber Z1 or equivalent Fox works well.

But if you want a coil feel and don't care about weight, I'd get a Z1 Grip or a 36 Grip2 and add a Smashpot.

Edit: I didn't know the Mezzer had a hydraulic bottom out, this is a sweet deal, I have one in my Smashpot and it works great, can't even tell it's there, but it is.
What does it weigh out of curiosity.....your upgraded Z1.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.