Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
My ifp tool arrived today so I pulled apart my damper. I have a gold piston with the following rebound stack.
2x15mm
2x12mm
1x10mm
So per my previous question what's the best way to go about shifting the whole adjustment range upwards to make it more usable with 200psi +? Add another 15mm? Another 12? Something else entirely? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
My ifp tool arrived today so I pulled apart my damper. I have a gold piston with the following rebound stack.
2x15mm
2x12mm
1x10mm
So per my previous question what's the best way to go about shifting the whole adjustment range upwards to make it more usable with 200psi +? Add another 15mm? Another 12? Something else entirely? Thanks for the input.

I'm neither Mullen nor Dougal, But I'll take a punt since it's been a little quiet lately.
If your after an increase in damping, you'll want a stiffer shim stack. You could swap the two 8x15x0.15 shims with an 8x15x0.2 + 8x15x0.1, giving you a similar total thickness with increased stiffness.
Or you could look at changing the clamping shim from an 8x10x0.2 to something that's wider, ie. 8x11x0.2.

Let us know how you get on with whatever you end up trying.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks for the input. I ordered bigger gap shims for rebound (8x11x.2) and compression (8x15x.1) Seemed like the easiest change to make in regards to changing the whole curve.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
Finally getting this closer to where I want it. It's definitely into the "not bad" stage. I still want lighter high speed rebound and the ability to run more low speed. Running around 1.25 turns is great chassis stability, but still a little rough in the...rough. .75 is better for the rough, but sacrifices that chassis stability. I took out stock stack and threw in 5 15x.1 and a 13x.1 on top of it, then the ring-clamp thing. I'm thinking of taking out another 15x.1. Definitely at the point though where I'm riding through stuff and actually happy at the action, saying "nice!" as I pedal through it, rather than the bike skipping all around.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Finally getting this closer to where I want it. It's definitely into the "not bad" stage. I still want lighter high speed rebound and the ability to run more low speed ... Definitely at the point though where I'm riding through stuff and actually happy at the action, saying "nice!" as I pedal through it, rather than the bike skipping all around.
What pressure are you running and what do you weigh? I wonder if the stock high speed rebound shims are biased towards higher pressures?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
What pressure are you running and what do you weigh? I wonder if the stock high speed rebound shims are biased towards higher pressures?
I've settled on 135psi (with the King Can). 170-ish lbs. The stock rebound shim was that 16mm x.2, then like an 11 or something, then the ring, that's what Dougal has said he's found in every stock Mcleod (before the gold piston?), despite the first post here. It also seems like this works fairly poorly from most of the tuning reports. It's likely that 16mm was contributing to the "rebound clunk" that other people were experiencing. I took Dougal's suggestion of stack and softened it just a little. Planning to do the same again, soften it just a little bit. It's definitely getting close.

I'm only working with 103mm of travel, but last-nights ride in the rooty-est rough was far better than last week's (with the stock stack).

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am also running what could be considered a really fast rebound stack, as in 8x15x0.1(x3), 8x14x0.1, so essentially 4 0.1 shims, I've in the end settled @120psi (probably 110 in reality, a bit damaged pressure gauge) with medium volume king can, and in no way does the shock kick me or anything like that, if I remember correctly- it actually feels much more stable than before, probably cause the dynamic sag in rough sections is higher, the rear of the bike also feels more bottomless than before. I'm running the low speed adjuster 3/4 of the way closed and I'm not ashamed of that ;) In other words- I believe that light rebound stacks are nothing to be scared of, makes you wonder then why RS still uses preloaded shims there...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
I am also running what could be considered a really fast rebound stack, as in 8x15x0.1(x3), 8x14x0.1, so essentially 4 0.1 shims, I've in the end settled @120psi (probably 110 in reality, a bit damaged pressure gauge) with medium volume king can, and in no way does the shock kick me or anything like that, if I remember correctly- it actually feels much more stable than before, probably cause the dynamic sag in rough sections is higher, the rear of the bike also feels more bottomless than before. I'm running the low speed adjuster 3/4 of the way closed and I'm not ashamed of that ;) In other words- I believe that light rebound stacks are nothing to be scared of, makes you wonder then why RS still uses preloaded shims there...
Manitou is still a guilty party here in the chaos of suspension performance, but yeah, that one just defies all logic. There are design decisions that are made that just make no sense, like they're "winging it", rather than having competent people design it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've settled on 135psi (with the King Can). 170-ish lbs. The stock rebound shim was that 16mm x.2, then like an 11 or something, then the ring, that's what Dougal has said he's found in every stock Mcleod (before the gold piston?), despite the first post here. It also seems like this works fairly poorly from most of the tuning reports. It's likely that 16mm was contributing to the "rebound clunk" that other people were experiencing. I took Dougal's suggestion of stack and softened it just a little. Planning to do the same again, soften it just a little bit. It's definitely getting close.

I'm only working with 103mm of travel, but last-nights ride in the rooty-est rough was far better than last week's (with the stock stack).
I'm happy with the stock rebound tune so far, but I'm running more pressure with the standard can so maybe that's the difference. Am I crazy to think that the King Can can alone would be happier with a softer rebound tune? With the popularity of the King Can maybe Manitou should offer a different version that comes stock with the King Can and a different tune.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Finally came round to check the shim stacks in my McLeod, and was a bit surprised to find the following (my digital caliper just died, so I'm a little uncertain of some of the thickness measurements):

10 mm compression stack:
10 x 14 x 0.1 (2 shims)
10 x 20 x 0.2 (3 shims)

8 mm compression stack:
8 x 12 x 0.15 (2 shims)

Rebound stack:
8 x 16 x 0.15 (1 shim)
8 x 10 x 0.15 (1 shim)
8 x 11 x 1.0 (1 "shim")

So, the 10 mm stack seems standard, but the other two I have not seen in this thread, as far as I can recall. Is this a standard shim stack combination?

It is a 165x38 shock that I bought new, and use on a 100 mm xc bike. Mostly I have been happy with it, but have wanted somewhat better platform, as I get some bob even at the 4th IPA click. I still do not want to lose any (rather gain some) small bump sensitivity.

Any thoughts about this, or adjustments I should make?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Finally came round to check the shim stacks in my McLeod, and was a bit surprised to find the following (my digital caliper just died, so I'm a little uncertain of some of the thickness measurements):

10 mm compression stack:
10 x 14 x 0.1 (2 shims)
10 x 20 x 0.2 (3 shims)

8 mm compression stack:
8 x 12 x 0.15 (2 shims)

Rebound stack:
8 x 16 x 0.15 (1 shim)
8 x 10 x 0.15 (1 shim)
8 x 11 x 1.0 (1 "shim")

So, the 10 mm stack seems standard, but the other two I have not seen in this thread, as far as I can recall. Is this a standard shim stack combination?

It is a 165x38 shock that I bought new, and use on a 100 mm xc bike. Mostly I have been happy with it, but have wanted somewhat better platform, as I get some bob even at the 4th IPA click. I still do not want to lose any (rather gain some) small bump sensitivity.

Any thoughts about this, or adjustments I should make?
Those are the stock XC stacks from pre 2020 shocks (rebound shim is a 16x.2)

Same info from above applies when talking about tunes

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those are the stock XC stacks from pre 2020 shocks (rebound shim is a 16x.2)

Same info from above applies when talking about tunes
Thanks for clarifying. I will get myself some new shims and update the rebound stack, and try out some compression stacks with more damping. If I understand it right, my current 12 mm shims don’t do much, but leave most of the damping up to the IPA-stack. Is that correct, and if so, what is the idea of this xc-configuration?

181 - 192 of 192 Posts