Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, have a manitou mcleod rear shock, now a couple years old regularly serviced. From day on had a clunk going from compression to rebound on the open settings, goes away in the other three settings. I have adjusted the lever stop as i have seen discussed. Any other suggestions? Possible its shims sticking to the piston?

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
hey guys, have a manitou mcleod rear shock, now a couple years old regularly serviced. From day on had a clunk going from compression to rebound on the open settings, goes away in the other three settings. I have adjusted the lever stop as i have seen discussed. Any other suggestions? Possible its shims sticking to the piston?
If it goes away with more IPA, as yours does, then it's shim preload being so loose the shims can float and knock. This is set firstly by the stop screw for the IPA lever, the secondly by adjusting the head on the shaft.
Slacken the 20mm locknut under and increment the head in about 10 degree steps until it just goes away. Don't overtorque the locknut.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it goes away with more IPA, as yours does, then it's shim preload being so loose the shims can float and knock. This is set firstly by the stop screw for the IPA lever, the secondly by adjusting the head on the shaft.
Slacken the 20mm locknut under and increment the head in about 10 degree steps until it just goes away. Don't overtorque the locknut.
Gotcha, i have played with the set screw a bit and no change, have not been on that bike for a while, but i just did a air car reset and put the shock back on and it actually does it in all settings...does that rule out the shim preload?

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
Gotcha, i have played with the set screw a bit and no change, have not been on that bike for a while, but i just did a air car reset and put the shock back on and it actually does it in all settings...does that rule out the shim preload?
If you're still knocking with the IPA lever in 2 and 3 then it's not shim preload. There's an update kit with the gold piston and new shim stacks which will cure it. P/N: 142-37945 I haven't got them yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.