Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5208 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Want one, but I don't think you'll find anybody whose ridden one yet, as it will be the end of this month (at least) before they are available. The only review/preview I've seen so far is from a German MTB site.
Looks like a really good fork and some of the guys here who absolutely love their Manitou forks have basically convinced me to give them a go.
The biggest issue was with Manitou revealing it so long ago and then.... nothing for at least 4 months. Kind of a weird way to do business, given the fact that the opposition (RS with the Pike, X-Fusion etc) have been going great guns in the intervening period.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Do you have any idea how long it took the X-fusion Sweep to actually become available?
I am curious too…the Mattoc and Sweep both look nice. Pike prices aren't dropping any time soon.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
That's the other thing that is very tempting about the Mattoc, even the top Pro model is priced very competitively to the Pike. The only issue I think we'll have in NZ though is that I got my LBS to ring the local distributors of Manitou to see exactly how much they would cost, only to be told "we are going out of Manitou". Means I will have to likely go through CRC to get one.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it was a little early for any type of feedback, it'll come soon enough.

I run Avalanche products both ends and can't see any reason to move anywhere else, except in the Manitou direction. The only thing that might hold me back is the fact of Avy's mid valve. That type of setup is amazing for preventing brake dive. I've had a crack at riding a 29er setup with a current Pike and a Wilson setup with last years 888. Now taking into consideration that I think both forks could have been better tuned and the lack of time I had on both bikes, I still felt uncomfortable when time came to drop the anchor's. Especially on the 29er, I felt like I was going to endo that thing. It felt like the brake dive was using up half of the available travel. I just shook my head.

Which begs the question, which part of TPC+ four dimensional damper would help with brake dive? I think it either boils down to the pressure or velocity dependent circuits. I'd love to learn more.

I see on Manitou's site they now are calling for a spring time release. I thought their time frame from when they released to their original December goal seemed pretty normal. And even late March seems okay.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sigh.....

Ive been extremely happy with my Dorado on my DH bike the last couple years, and unhappy with a Fox 36 and Lyrik RC2DH on my AM bike.

So, Dorado tech in a 160 AM fork is exactly what the Dr ordered for me, but......just how long will it be?!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Even if it is another couple of months, I'm still willing to wait.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sigh.....

Ive been extremely happy with my Dorado on my DH bike the last couple years, and unhappy with a Fox 36 and Lyrik RC2DH on my AM bike.

So, Dorado tech in a 160 AM fork is exactly what the Dr ordered for me, but......just how long will it be?!
I mind cant let go of time the Dorardo, Revox and I had together. Happy day's which had never been quite the same..

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have one since yesterday :)
well made.removing the axle takes 4 sec.everything about the fork's performance will be revealed the next weekend.tomorrow I'll change the travel to 170mm make pictures of the internals and load them up on the above mentioned thread.really cannot wait to mount it! :)

·
Registered
5,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
well made.removing the axle takes 4 sec.everything about the fork's performance will be revealed the next weekend.tomorrow I'll change the travel to 170mm make pictures of the internals and load them up on the above mentioned thread.really cannot wait to mount it! :)
You're making me jealous! Can't wait for your review.

Biggest issue I'm going to have is that the NZ distributor of Manitou is no longer going to be getting Manitou forks, so my options are to wait until someone else picks them up (which could be months, if at all) or get a pair from CRC for about NZ$1000, but I'll end up having to pay about $200 import duty :( I'm hoping that they will be worth it.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts

Yes! Pics, pics and more pics!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you think you can add a third spacer and shim it down to 130mm?

From the above link.
View attachment 872661
Regarding the 27.5 fork I assume? That sound like a question for the guys at Mantiou, drop em a line. In my experience they'll get back to you pretty damn quick.

Is that some of the instructions and info that you got with the fork? Looks well detailed. What other info came with the package?

1 - 20 of 5208 Posts