Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am finally going to pull the trigger and get a new fork and Decide from the positive reviews I have been seeing that Manitou seems the way to go.
1:The next real question is other then the weight difference what are some of the pros and cons of each?
2:Is the Minute higher maintenance?
3:Which would be slightly smoother on technical singletrack?
4:Which will not brake dive as bad?

Thanks guys. I plan on buying this soon as I decide between the 2. leaning towards the minute but the wallet likes the match..

·
Made in Canada
414 Posts
The big difference is that the Match is purely a coil sprung fork while the minute has coil and air. IMO besides the weight there shouldn't be any difference on trail as they use the same damper, however the Minute will have more adjustability. The Minute would be easier to adjust for your weight, as the Match comes with a medium stiffness spring in it which would have to be swapped out if you are not average weight. I'm not sure what the actual specs are for the stiffness however. I would guess you would be good for the top end of a medium stiffness spring that comes stock.

All that being said, I ended up getting a Match because of the pricepoint.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK So i order the minute yesterday and just got to thinking Does this come with the airpump or do I need to buy that seperately?
Also realized I need to get down to my local dealer and pick up a star nut..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And you will need a firm spring for the air fork as well (otherwise the fork will dive).

P
Really.. Half the reason other then weight savings I went to the minute is because I did not think I would need to deal with spring changes right away.
I weight 190 plus gear so I would need to shop for a heavy weight spring.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Really.. Half the reason other then weight savings I went to the minute is because I did not think I would need to deal with spring changes right away.
I weight 190 plus gear so I would need to shop for a heavy weight spring.
Your going to be right on the line. I dont remember where I saw it at, But the stock medium spring with around the 50PSI max was rated for up to 200lbs. You will probably be ok, but if you get aggressive when you ride, a spring change may be needed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of my riding should be single track with some NJ rock gardens no drops or anything like that getting to old for that stuff anyways. I always perfered the tight slow technical stuff so we'll see how I make out without the upgrade..
PS I do not see the firm spring online any good links for them?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Most of my riding should be single track with some NJ rock gardens no drops or anything like that getting to old for that stuff anyways. I always perfered the tight slow technical stuff so we'll see how I make out without the upgrade..
PS I do not see the firm spring online any good links for them?
I cant find it online either. You will probably need to order it through a bike shop. Manitou has great customer service, but they make it hard to get parts unless you go through a bike shop.

·
I dig trails!
5,541 Posts
Call Manitou for their recommendations on spring (I remember 180+ = firm) as a proper set up spring = damping working in it's proper range.

You need to order your spring from your local bike shop.

When you call Manitou, and if you need a firm spring, get the part # from them to eliminate any shop order snafus.

Springs are not a sexy part, but IME, when I finally figured out to properly spring my ride = best upgrade I've ever done. I went from tentative to pinning it as I could now count on the fork to support me.

P

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called manitou yesterday and they were great on the phone the tech said I am right on the edge of needing the firm spring but it also depends on my riding type. He suggested running it for a week or to to decide.

Also I ordered the minute from upgrade cycles in Chicago on Monday for $269 with free shipping and it got to NJ today.
I installed it on the bike already only to discover the LBS i go to thats 20min away gave me the star nut for a 1" steerer even though I asked for the 1 1/8.....arrgh and I never noticed since I bought a few things.. now I have to wait till tomorrow before I can finish its going to cost me more in gas then the $2 I spent for the nut.

Oh well since I also need to figure out how to move my older computer over form the 28mm indy to the 32mm minute.

I gave an update after I ride:)

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I would ride the bike a few times, and maybe play around with the shim stack (see thread) to see if you can get it set up properly. I am guessing you may want to go with the stiff spring...it's $8.00

Also, a Starnut was included with my fork when I ordered from Speedgoat.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I called manitou yesterday and they were great on the phone the tech said I am right on the edge of needing the firm spring but it also depends on my riding type. He suggested running it for a week or to to decide.

Also I ordered the minute from upgrade cycles in Chicago on Monday for $269 with free shipping and it got to NJ today.
I installed it on the bike already only to discover the LBS i go to thats 20min away gave me the star nut for a 1" steerer even though I asked for the 1 1/8.....arrgh and I never noticed since I bought a few things.. now I have to wait till tomorrow before I can finish its going to cost me more in gas then the $2 I spent for the nut.

Oh well since I also need to figure out how to move my older computer over form the 28mm indy to the 32mm minute.

I gave an update after I ride:)
Sounds like manitou said exactly what I said :lol:

Looking forward to the ride report. The shim stack tuning thread talked about by the jonshonda is linked in my signature.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep John got me exited and I double checked the box but no star nut...OH well I guess I will be heading to the LBS tomorrow.

Thanks guys yep I have read though the shim stacking.. is there a difference between the ABS and the TPC+ as far as tuning goes because the 2011's only have tpc+

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Just a quick thread hijack...

Mullen119 (or anyone else who knows), what oil do you use for manitou forks? 5W motorex/maxima suspension oil for the damper and air spring, and synthetic engine oil or whatever is handy for the semi-bath?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Just a quick thread hijack...

Mullen119 (or anyone else who knows), what oil do you use for manitou forks? 5W motorex/maxima suspension oil for the damper and air spring, and synthetic engine oil or whatever is handy for the semi-bath?
For damper oil, go to a motorcycle shop and get a 5wt fork oil. There is a slight difference between different brand fork oils, but you wont notice a difference in performance. Getting the oil from a motorcycle shop will save you a lot of money. Any synthetic oil for semibath is fine.:thumbsup:

·
I dig trails!
5,541 Posts
Thanks guys yep I have read though the shim stacking.. is there a difference between the ABS and the TPC+ as far as tuning goes because the 2011's only have tpc+
TPC+ is only in the Dorado now, Absolute + is what you will have. Check out this page:
http://www.manitoumtb.com/index.php?page=tech

Tuning the fork should go in the order of setting spring then damping. As the spring controls the weight on the bike and the damping is designed to control the spring. The forces are very different. No amount of shim stack tuning can make up for too low a spring rate.

P

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.