Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1695 Posts

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Great!
I will ask again tomorrow.
But...just in case....any news yet?
Good idea - tomorrow could be the day. But if it isn't tomorrow, then I think it might could be 9-12 days from now. Don't ask me how I know.

Reactions: the mayor

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
I heard that the Mastodon was exclusive to the Trek Farley EX until 2018 ;)
Damn, not a nibble, you guys are tight!

Okay, I heard that Trek stores have an exclusive on the Mastodon until 2018, so you gotta buy it from Trek.

I'm thinking of ways to sneak into a Trek dealer, get the fork, without anyone recognizing me ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ben I read that the Mastodon is going to be exclusive to Manitou! Talk about unfair business practices, it's a monopoly I tell you!

·
This place needs an enema
16,099 Posts
But...just in case....any news yet?

News? I'll give you some news. I've been riding one of these beauteous beasts on the front of my Fatillac. Close to 70 hours ridden on it in the last ~6 weeks, including 3.5 tonight.

It's friggin awesome. The honeymoon phase was over 4 weeks ago, and yet I still continue to look forward to every ride on this bike/fork. 6" of travel on both ends + 3.5" tires on both ends = braaaaAAAAAAAAAP!

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
It's friggin awesome. The honeymoon phase was over 4 weeks ago, and yet I still continue to look forward to every ride on this bike/fork. 6" of travel on both ends + 3.5" tires on both ends = braaaaAAAAAAAAAP!
So... this is better than a Bluto for sure?

·
This place needs an enema
16,099 Posts
So... this is better than a Bluto for sure?

If we're discussing chassis stiffness and damping quality, they don't even belong in the same discussion. Mastodon is awesome.

Looking at it from a different perspective, Bluto might be lighter. Once Mastodon is released Bluto will undoubtedly be cheaper. If weight and cost trump performance, then Bluto might be better for you.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Thanks for the well thought out reply, mikesee (...and yeah, sorry about the delayed response). My longstanding thought has been that a Pike with 150mm front hub spacing and 120mm travel would be a perfect balance between weight and performance for all the same reasons a Pike works better than a Reba on a mtb. If this Mastodon is even close to a Pike, then I think it would answer a lot of the needs and wants of a lot of us on this sub-forum.

...What again is going to be the production weight of this fork? In my mind, any fork over 4.6 lbs brings the Bluto back into discussion, as around there is where I see the fork as becoming "heavy" for anything other than the rough & steep stuff.

If we're discussing chassis stiffness and damping quality, they don't even belong in the same discussion. Mastodon is awesome.

Looking at it from a different perspective, Bluto might be lighter. Once Mastodon is released Bluto will undoubtedly be cheaper. If weight and cost trump performance, then Bluto might be better for you.

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
Thanks for the well thought out reply, mikesee (...and yeah, sorry about the delayed response). My longstanding thought has been that a Pike with 150mm front hub spacing and 120mm travel would be a perfect balance between weight and performance for all the same reasons a Pike works better than a Reba on a mtb. If this Mastodon is even close to a Pike, then I think it would answer a lot of the needs and wants of a lot of us on this sub-forum.

...What again is going to be the production weight of this fork? In my mind, any fork over 4.6 lbs brings the Bluto back into discussion, as around there is where I see the fork as becoming "heavy" for anything other than the rough & steep stuff.
We are talking about a fat bike, so "weight" is thrown out the window as soon as you start adding suspension. You want light, ride rigid.

We already have rigid (lightest), Lauf (minimalist spring suspension), Bluto (Light suspension fork), and DH forks (heavy duty), so the Mastodon fits right smack dab in the midweight suspension slot.

An additional pound for a robust 150mm travel fat bike fork is totally reasonable; think Wren. Certainly the relative weight penalty increases as that same "heavy" fork is mounted on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

The true answer is found in the pudding. A burlier fork has never been the answer for the folks who feel the Bluto is adequate, nor is this fork for folks who ride rigid.

The Mastodon is for the folks who have the Bluto and feel that it is not adequate.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I do think weight does matter if you're talking about a bike that's still somewhat fun to trail ride for hours at a time. Even though full weight-weenie isn't the objective, some modest attention to weight is going enhance agility and response.

Agreed that success of this fork is going to come down to the details and how it actually rides.

We are talking about a fat bike, so "weight" is thrown out the window as soon as you start adding suspension. You want light, ride rigid.

We already have rigid (lightest), Lauf (minimalist spring suspension), Bluto (Light suspension fork), and DH forks (heavy duty), so the Mastodon fits right smack dab in the midweight suspension slot.

An additional pound for a robust 150mm travel fat bike fork is totally reasonable; think Wren. Certainly the relative weight penalty increases as that same "heavy" fork is mounted on a shorter travel bike or a hardtail.

The true answer is found in the pudding. A burlier fork has never been the answer for the folks who feel the Bluto is adequate, nor is this fork for folks who ride rigid.

The Mastodon is for the folks who have the Bluto and feel that it is not adequate.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Found this on Instagram, Looks huge.

Seeing a 27.5" hodag in a bluto almost rubs the arch, look at that clearance!

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts

Found this on Instagram, Looks huge.

Seeing a 27.5" hodag in a bluto almost rubs the arch, look at that clearance!
White?

Someone please tell me it won't be white.

It does look like a comfy fit, very exciting, just hoping it'll be for sale when it goes live next week.

101 - 120 of 1695 Posts