Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Mars comp coil fork. I have taken the lowers off before and cleaned them out, and changed the oil. Is there more that can be done/should I be doing more to clean out the damper assembly? I see there is a cap with flats on it at the bottom of the stanchion tube, I'm guessing the rebound assembly comes out here. Once that comes out what next?

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
If it ain't broke.....

HVskier said:
I have an 02 Mars comp coil fork. I have taken the lowers off before and cleaned them out, and changed the oil. Is there more that can be done/should I be doing more to clean out the damper assembly? I see there is a cap with flats on it at the bottom of the stanchion tube, I'm guessing the rebound assembly comes out here. Once that comes out what next?
Seriously, it sounds as if you have taken good care of the fork. If you change the damper oil every six months or so and clean out the old PrepM and re-lube the bushing/stanchion interface (using the Microlube ports) everything should be fine. Removing and taking apart the damper when it's working fine is just asking for trouble, IMO. If the oil looks especially dirty, and you are concerned about trapped dirt, you could remove the cap at the end of the stanchion that you referred to, remove the damper, and clean everything up. If the oil is clean when you change it, I would not even worry about this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.