Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would like a bladder! Easier maintenance,more tuning options.

Also i see a LSR knob, and two other knobs that seem LSC and HSC.
This means that the shock now has a LSC circuit? That's ok since it has higher oil volume than the mcleod.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I see:
- Red on-the-fly "platform" lever
- Red compression knob
- Grey mysterious knob/dial
- Blue rebound knob
- Air spring Schrader valve
- A slight bump that may be a Schrader valve for the piggyback's gas charge
- A little material removal by the air can side for mounting tab clearance (that small detail made me smile)
- A couple set screws
- Tool flats at the end of the air can and external reservoir
- Circlip at the end of what seems to be the end of the air spring's "secondary air can sleeve" (for simpler volume adjustment?)
- Evidence of not blowing through travel at Sea Otter

Red Amber Still life photography Cameras & optics Collection

Here's the pic in the above post conveniently re-uploaded. Can see the grey knob/dial attached to this base valve assembly. Can maybe assume the metallic piece on the left is what the platform lever gives adjustment over, while the red knob may give adjustment over HSC.

As for the MARA name... I dunno, it can be MAnitou RAcing. Looked it up and found a pic of a bunny-coyote looking animal--large relative guinea pig family from the Patagonian steppes of Argentina. Decal gives context that it may refer to Mara, a demon in Buddhist legend who's associated with death, rebirth, and desire. Legend goes that the demon, Mara, tried to tempt/seduce Prince Siddhartha with visions of beautiful women, to foil him off of his path of enlightenment to eventual full Buddhahood (becoming Gautama Buddha).

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Does a spring backed compensator make sense?
I'd say it doesn't matter, except in terms of maintenance and reliability. The ubiquitous non-metallic IFP with gas charge is a solid choice, especially if you consider the ease of making a new IFP down the road, when the supply of model-specific bladders runs out after being discontinued, and not needing to carry stock of different spring options. Can just have a virtual stock of a wide range of IFPs by just having stock of engineering grade plastic (e.g. acetal) and a lathe, conveniently cutting out the need to have specific parts shipped, and the service turn-around-time delay associated with that.

I figure the real goal depends on what performance traits you get beyond having the minimum pressure needed to prevent cavitation.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'd say it doesn't matter, except in terms of maintenance and reliability. The ubiquitous non-metallic IFP with gas charge is a solid choice, especially if you consider the ease of making a new IFP down the road, when the supply of model-specific bladders runs out after being discontinued, and not needing to carry stock of different spring options. Can just have a virtual stock of a wide range of IFPs by just having stock of engineering grade plastic (e.g. acetal) and a lathe, conveniently cutting out the need to have specific parts shipped, and the service turn-around-time delay associated with that.

I figure the real goal depends on what performance traits you get beyond having the minimum pressure needed to prevent cavitation.
That fair. Just took a guess based on the extra length of the piggyback. How about the goal of making a home serviceable/tunable shock? I know dvo did that with the jade, with so-so results.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I dunno, it could be done for clearance reasons, and the smaller diameter needs a smaller seal, and is in a simple shape in terms of design-for-manufacturing. Fitting in more frames that make an effort to fit a standard water bottle is a good bonus.

Speaking of user-friendliness, I thought back to the m3zzer fork's cable routing being a more familiar style. Makes me wonder what else Manitou did to make things more appealing/attractive to the general consumer, who I imagine doesn't have much of a clue and has to be hyped up into buying upgrades. Seems Hayes/Manitou is seeing more value in aesthetics, with the various finishes on the m3zzer and that 3VD purple anodizing throwback. This MARA doesn't look bad at all.

I had my heart set on a DVO Topaz, waiting on a good deal on one, until I saw this.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
That fair. Just took a guess based on the extra length of the piggyback. How about the goal of making a home serviceable/tunable shock? I know dvo did that with the jade, with so-so results.
I can't wait to be able to spill the beans. For now, I will say you are all wrong and the real answer in next level.

As for tunability, it's a Manitou product, that should speak for itself.

Did I get you hyped yet?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Boo this man
Nope, you have the NZ distributor and a US Manitou man trying to whip up interest on a narrow MTB forum about two products literally no one in the industry is bothered about as the brand won't spend any coin advertising.

Smacks of desperation. Drip feeding riders with information hoping to garner a crowd for the new amazing product drop.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I don't think Manitou is a company that cares about advertising, which is a shame. I also don't think they were trying to leak any info on the Mara (maybe on the Mezzer). The focus at sea otter was to release the j-unit line, not create buzz about the other products.

People who ride Mattocs and McLeods are stoked for the new products, if nobody else cares, that's ok. I can assure you nobody is desperate, just excited.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I don't think Manitou is a company that cares about advertising, which is a shame. I also don't think they were trying to leak any info on the Mara (maybe on the Mezzer). The focus at sea otter was to release the j-unit line, not create buzz about the other products.

People who ride Mattocs and McLeods are stoked for the new products, if nobody else cares, that's ok. I can assure you nobody is desperate, just excited.
This... Been waiting for a long travel 29er fork from them for a couple years now after they released the McLeod. I would rather have them spend their money on product development than give the broh/bruh community more money to be douchenozzles and drink cheap beer.

·
Registered
12,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This and the messer thread smack of desperation.
Nope, you have the NZ distributor and a US Manitou man trying to whip up interest on a narrow MTB forum about two products literally no one in the industry is bothered about as the brand won't spend any coin advertising.

Smacks of desperation. Drip feeding riders with information hoping to garner a crowd for the new amazing product drop.
Are you okay Rick? What is going on?

·
Registered
72 Posts

Plenty of people will buy it, plenty of people will be stoked on it. They fill a market segment and its not the juggernaut of advertising that fox/sram are. If no one cared then they wouldn't be making this stuff.

·
Registered
276 Posts

We are not a bunch of idiots. We are interested in Manitou products because they work very well at a good price.
Not because someone pushes them as you said.

If someone pushes junk in the end no one will buy It l anyway, unless it is spec'd OEM.

1 - 20 of 312 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.