Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 120mm Machete Comp Boost 29" for my Top Fuel.

Does anyone know the actual weight? I'm seeing 2080g down to 1750g.

The Trek's stock fork is 100mm, and has a 51mm offset. The Manitou has 48mm I believe.
I need to check the axle to crown.
Anyway, would decreased offset and 20mm increased travel result in odd handling?

My current fork, Fox Rhythm 32 is harsh (it is killing my hands) despite tearing it down myself, and later sending it to Fox last year (they also found no issue).
My 18 year old, 80mm Manitou Six Deluxe is far more plush and active than the Fox.
No, I'm not kidding.

Unless someone has the cure (not speculation) for the Fox, I have zero interest in screwing around with it. It has been apart multiple times, has no spacers (I've tried some just out of curiosity), and even Fox didn't fix it, so harsh compression must be the nature of my fork.

Is the Machete a plush, active fork? I would probably upgrade to ABS+ at some point.

Many thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
The offset depends on the steerer and the weight depends on the axle.

1 1/8" steerers are all 41mm offset, tapered steerer in that size is listed as 44mm offset. You need to go to the 27+/29" boost version for 51mm.

Claimed weight is 1930g for 9mm QR with either tapered or straight steerer. This should be pretty accurate.
For reference The 120mm 27" Machete Pro 15mm is listed at 1704g and I built one with a straight steerer that was 1730g uncut.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight, Dougal.

Yes, I didn't mention that it is a tapered steerer.

Ah, I just realized the Pro (not the Comp) is listed at 48mm offset.

The Pro also has seemingly conflicting info regarding weight:
3.8 Lbs / 1704g (27.5"); 3.9 Lbs / 1751g (29"); and at the bottom of the page: 4.1 Lbs / 1871g (27.5"); 4.3 Lbs / 1928g (29"); 4.5 Lbs / 2040g (27.5+, 29+).

The differences appear to be 100 vs 120 travel and 44 vs 48 offset.

The Comp is listed as 2040g for the 29+, which is the same as the Pro above.
4.1 Lbs / 1871g (27.5"); 4.3 Lbs / 1928g (29"); 4.5 Lbs / 2040g (27.5+, 29+)

The confusing number were my rationale for asking.

Though I would prefer the Pro, due to a combination of coupon and gift card, I can get a Comp for ~$164 shipped to my front door.
I can upgrade to ABS+....but I admit that I am a moderate weight-weenie, so the weight of the Comp is a concern.
My current fork is, I believe, about 1850g.

I'm so frustrated with my current fork.
It has a ridiculous amount of progression, and a platform-ish feel. Ugh.
It disgusts me that I have to drop more cash, and take a gamble on getting a good fork, since I can't demo them.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Bob

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Working with a prototype/sample Machete Boost 27.5 fork. On page 39 of this document https://www.leaderfox.cz/data/content/Machete Service and Travel Guide.pdf it shows that some forks can run up to 140mm travel. I'm confused on how they measure the CSA assembly? Is that from the crown race seat to the bottom of the stanchion tube (lowers have already been dropped/removed) or is it from the top of the stanchion leg where it is bonded to the crown to the bottom of the leg?

I get the 341mm length depending on where I measure from, I'll double check the overall length of the Comp-Rod, Insert Molded piece as well, but it seems like (please correct me if I'm wrong) that if I have the 341mm length for the 140mm forks, then I would just need to make sure I have the correct Comp-Rod for it as well to achieve the 140mm travel?

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Working with a prototype/sample Machete Boost 27.5 fork. On page 39 of this document https://www.leaderfox.cz/data/content/Machete Service and Travel Guide.pdf it shows that some forks can run up to 140mm travel. I'm confused on how they measure the CSA assembly? Is that from the crown race seat to the bottom of the stanchion tube (lowers have already been dropped/removed) or is it from the top of the stanchion leg where it is bonded to the crown to the bottom of the leg?

I get the 341mm length depending on where I measure from, I'll double check the overall length of the Comp-Rod, Insert Molded piece as well, but it seems like (please correct me if I'm wrong) that if I have the 341mm length for the 140mm forks, then I would just need to make sure I have the correct Comp-Rod for it as well to achieve the 140mm travel?
Yes 340mm stanchions are the right length for 140mm travel.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
But is it measured from crown race seat to bottom of stanchion? or is it just stanchion length to top of the leg/crown bonded area?
The tube is about 340mm and when it's in the crown it's difficult to measure that.

But I'm still not sure why you're measuring.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The tube is about 340mm and when it's in the crown it's difficult to measure that.

But I'm still not sure why you're measuring.
To verify how much travel I can go on this. Depending on where/how I measured I can get both the 341/321 measurements, so I wanted to make sure I was measuring in accordance with how Manitou listed it. I'll take it all apart again tonight/tomorrow and double check all the measurements to see what I'm up against; my first look at it makes me think I am limited to 120mm.
But I'll have better/closer look at it and see for sure. Thanks again for the insight.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
To verify how much travel I can go on this. Depending on where/how I measured I can get both the 341/321 measurements, so I wanted to make sure I was measuring in accordance with how Manitou listed it. I'll take it all apart again tonight/tomorrow and double check all the measurements to see what I'm up against; my first look at it makes me think I am limited to 120mm.
But I'll have better/closer look at it and see for sure. Thanks again for the insight.
340mm stanchions (total length) are the right length for 140mm travel. You will likely have a top-out spacer in the spring side limiting you to 120mm. It comes out easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.