Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lube my sherman but my LBS doesnt have prep-m grease which manitou recomendes. Has anybody used Weldtite grease to lube their fork? How does it work and is it seal friendly? O yea, and which oil can i use for the TPC? I have a synthetyc 5w-40 motor oil. will it work? Thanks!!!

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
For the grease I would't know. But if you mean for damper oil, you should only use suspension oil, 5w(recommended) or 7.5w if you want to increase damping a little and slow shock a bit should be ok. Do not use any other oil in damper, however I replaced oil in a low end manitou sx with powersteering fluid (dextron)and it worked great, and I know some here have used it also.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
oil - that motor oil can work for "semi-bath" lowers, but is not a good idea for the damper. Check with a motorcycle shop for a 5wt fork oil (synthetic if possible) and it should be fairly easy to find, and will be cheaper to boot.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Not all 5wt oils are created equal. The actual viscosity of different brands can differ significantly. Manitou specs their forks with Motorex 5wt. The dampener is very sensitive to non-stock oils.

Don't use ATF or any motor oil that contains seal swellers. It can dissolve the seals. You can use a motor oil in the lowers for the semi-bath lubrication.

Manitou Prep-M, Buzzy's Slik Honey, Rockshox Judy Butter, Finish Line Stanchion Lube are all fine for greases. I don't know about the one you suggested. I never grease the exposed stanchion. It usually just gets covered in dust. When I have the fork apart, I'll just pack a bunch under the seals/wipers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts