Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou Gold Label 50mm Mod

794 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  two6labs 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I have been playing around with a few different ideas here at my lab. I have been working on some different things for a while and testing them to make sure they would hold up. Well This one is ready for market! We now offer a travel reducer for the Manitou Gold Label Series Dirt Jumper fork. Its a 30mm reducer and it is something we do in house for right now. We have made a Neoprene Spacer that has a 1200lbs crush strength, it is almost identical to the Manitou in every way except theirs is hard plastic. The neoprene provides just a bit of cushion to compensate for the hard yank these forks see at lift off. If you aren't dirt jumping, this Mod is great to lower the front end and give it more of a BMX feel. This Mod is something Aaron Chase and a few other Top Level pros are doing with their forks. If that's your style, this is your Mod.... :thumbsup:

The Mod cost $60

#6 ·
two6labs said:
Yes we will use the stock spring... We trim 25mm off the top and that is the only permanent Mod. If you remove the travel reducer and buy a spring ($40) your fork is just like new...
Cool... that's what I thought. I did that with my Shermans, wasn't sure how ghetto I was being, but it seems that's what everyone is doing.

#7 ·
Yeah Matt, That seems to be the most common way ... We cut the spring and then slowly heat the coil and bend the upper coil that was cut so that it does not stick out . Then we use the top cap and the upper spring perch. It really goes back together nicely. I don't know of anyone yet that is producing springs for the Manitou stuff yet. If you did it the way we do, then the spring cutting is the only permanent Mod. The nice thing I noticed on our Mod is that the fork is much stiffer. There is less movement or play around the bushings. I like a good stiff fork for jumping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.