Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I have a Zoke MX Comp (105 mm) w/ETA which is really nice, but want something with adjustable travel up to about 120-130 to go on my chameleon. I would like a fork that would mainly be for trail riding, but would allow for me to race XC and even dabble in some DS. I would love to get a TALAS, but I would want the RLC version, so that I could compress the fork during climbs, and I don't see the price going down on that puppy.

In the mean time, I'm considering the following:

1) Black Platinum
2) Sherman Flick
3) Sherman Firefly
4) Zoke z1 sl.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
ummm... well ppl say that Blacks are nice forks which can bu used for trails. but Blacks are the weakest from this list. hoewever for XC and DS it will be most efective. Sherman Flick is nice (it has standart dropouts, right?) and FireFly is nice too. about Marzocchi - its very nice as well :) you have to consider what do you really want, and how much money you want to spend. i would probably choose smth from Shermans

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Skareb Platinum

Colorado Cyclist currently has the Skareb Platinums with the SPV for $299. My race fork blew out, so I picked one up. After the initial ride, I got it dialed in correctly, and it is verrrry nice. I'm running the 80mm, but they have the 100mm's as well.

It's probably more of a race fork that can be used for trail riding than a trail fork that can be used for racing.

But - the price is right.

·
Cheesiest
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think forkboy put it right, but in reverse. I want a trail fork that I can race with. My most minimal requirements are 100-120 adjustable travel with some kind of lockout or compression for climbing. I would also like to spend under $250, for the time being the Fox is out of the consideration.

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
You answered your own question then, go with the Black, it is the only one that you could race if you needed and meets the price you want.

·
Cheesiest
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Firefly! My Chameleon loves it. Not sure I'd do an xc race with it but for a trail fork, it rules!

·
Cheesiest
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will go with the black for price reasons, but if I start doing some more freeriding, then I'll probably switch over to the Flick (when I pay off some bills).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Black Platinum

intheways said:
Right now, I have a Zoke MX Comp (105 mm) w/ETA which is really nice, but want something with adjustable travel up to about 120-130 to go on my chameleon. I would like a fork that would mainly be for trail riding, but would allow for me to race XC and even dabble in some DS. I would love to get a TALAS, but I would want the RLC version, so that I could compress the fork during climbs, and I don't see the price going down on that puppy.

In the mean time, I'm considering the following:

1) Black Platinum
2) Sherman Flick
3) Sherman Firefly
4) Zoke z1 sl.

Any opinions?
I own a Black Platinum and it is defitely the best fork for what you describe. I ride trails/X-Country and I have never had a better fork for it. Don't believe even for a second that the Black Platinum is weak. Whoever wrote that is definitely not up on the Black Platinum. If you mostly ride trails/X-Country your going to find the Shermans to be to heavy for racing. They are better downhill, but consider this. The Black is built the exact same way as the shermans, just with less travel. The internal parts are the same, except for spring length and such, but my point is: The Black is your best bet especially if you want to race X-Country. The Shermans are nice, but are too heavy for X-Country racing. Besides, like I said, the Black Platinum is basically just a scaled down Sherman. However, if you want to race X-Country and ride trails, look at the Black Super SPV 80 of 100. They are sweet too. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have a question.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're WRONG!

team-lt said:
ummm... well ppl say that Blacks are nice forks which can bu used for trails. but Blacks are the weakest from this list. hoewever for XC and DS it will be most efective. Sherman Flick is nice (it has standart dropouts, right?) and FireFly is nice too. about Marzocchi - its very nice as well :) you have to consider what do you really want, and how much money you want to spend. i would probably choose smth from Shermans
I would really like to know why you think the Blacks are weak? Don't you know that a Black is just a scaled down Sherman? Your comment "Black are weak" is not only false, but it is without base. Have you ridden one lately? I own a Black Platinum, and I will tell you right now that it is a sweet fork. Did you pay attention to the part where intheways said he wanted to race X-Country? I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to try that with a Sherman. They are way too heavy for that application, and can't be adjusted down to the 90mm that the Black can. Basically, I responded to you because what you said was so wrong that it really struck a nerve. Please find out about Answer's Forks before you go telling someone to buy a Sherman for X-Country racing, or say that the Black is weak. If any of those forks are weak, I would say it is the Zoke. I ride with a guy who rides a zoke and he blew up on the trail. The seals, the stanchions, and virtually everything on that fork that can break, did. He then had to hike back to the car. So, in short, find out about the forks before you start labeling them as "weak". Try riding Idaho singletrack day after day. Anything left standing when I get down off the hill is pretty darn good.

·
Deadhead Biker
120 Posts
manitou sucks

buy anything but a manitou! yeah they have great service.....sent my fork back three times this month and it still leaks.....thats $11.00 each shipping. thats gettin to be one pricy fork!!!! :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts