Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using an Axel Comp 03 for about a month and it sounds like it doesnt have enough oil in it(you know the squishy-air sound.) I bought it brand new from JensonUSA. I wanted to convert it from 80mm to 100mm so I decided to take it apart and try to see what was goin on at the same time. When I pulled the bottom bend off it had a quite a bit of oil in the right leg. I am worried that the seal is broken or defective. Does oil tend to leak out of the top end where all the oil is suppposed to be?

Also I couldnt figure out how to change from 80 to 100mm because the instructions were horrible. If anyone can help with one or both of these problems it would save me a call to Manitou tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, that actually depends. I know that the axel uses the grease ports and not the micro bath. So, the lube should actually be totally held seperate from the outer casting. So, no there shouldn't have been any oil in the bottom of that casting, however it does say in the manual that if there is some leaking down in there the damper shaft oring is probably fried.
as for converting the travel
1. Remove Lower legs.
2.is for super and elite models onlyh so we shall skip that.
3.Unthread (turn clockwise to loosen( the 8mm and 4mm bolts on the bottom of the fork and pull the lowers free from the uppoers. Unscrew the cap on the bottom of the left leg (from the riders postion, left leg) this will expose the clip that is used to adjust the travel.
4. Remove the clip and insert it into the upper position (above rod flange) for 100 millimeters of travelor the lower position(below the rod flange) for 80 millimeters of travel.
5. Reassemble and you are done.

Also see your manual.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is the only clip at the bottom at that specific rod, a rather thick one too. Silver. Best description, but if you go to answerproducts.com and check under the tech section, or check your owners manual. They have diagrams of said clip ring in both.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I answered my own question. The manual that came with the fork says work on the right side of the fork. The downloadable manual says work on the left side. The manuals are completely identical except those 2 words! The manual that I have been using is refering to the complete wrong side of the fork! So be careful with the Manitou manuals!

Thanks Everyone

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Yes, the clip is on the left side (i.e. disc side, spring side, non-drive side, etc). It's as easy as moving the clip from the lower to the upper position. Do note that increasing the travel will also change spring rate. You will need the lighter spring to maintain the same sag as before. However, if you are a heavier rider (maybe 180-200 lbs) the stock spring was probably under-sprung at 80mm and will fine for you at 100mm.

Back to your oil question. If there was more than a spoonful of oil in the bottom of your fork, you have a problem with the lower damping chamber seal. Most likely just needs to be tightened and refilled though. You can check the oil level by removing the right side (i.e. drive side) top cap and measuring the oil level as described in the manual. Looks like you've already had it apart so hopefully you have figured it out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes the manual is wrong

cement54 said:
Well I answered my own question. The manual that came with the fork says work on the right side of the fork. The downloadable manual says work on the left side. The manuals are completely identical except those 2 words! The manual that I have been using is refering to the complete wrong side of the fork! So be careful with the Manitou manuals!

Thanks Everyone
I found that out the hard way too. Wound up dumping the oil by accident. Has to pay $10 for a quart of 5w damping oil. By the way my fork was at 100 already, the damm thing was so bouncy I moved it to 80. It came on my specialized rockhopper FSR. I swapped it out for a Black elite (much much better) and I'm going try the axel on my hardtail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems to seal ok but Im still wary about it. I cant get maniou on the phone though, I just end up sitting on hold. It wasnt to much oil, and when I unscrewed the bottom cap it releived pressure like a pop bottle so I'm thinking it may be ok.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I left a message and the

cement54 said:
It seems to seal ok but Im still wary about it. I cant get maniou on the phone though, I just end up sitting on hold. It wasnt to much oil, and when I unscrewed the bottom cap it releived pressure like a pop bottle so I'm thinking it may be ok.
guy at manitou called me back twice in the same day. Once he left a message and then called again a couple hours later. Cool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts