Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
936 Posts
I have some really good luck with my Dorados, IMO one of the best DH forks ever, I have the first production run one circa 2002 all pimp out by Manitou awesome fork a little flexy,
now i have a second generation one with big stanctions 32mm versus 30mm on the old one, plus the new one have the new TPC II plus cartridge and i'm planning on Race this one for this season this fork have the best axel to crown height, it will keep your bike railling the corners. Check my galery i should have some weight and info about the fork in there.

Regards

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
They are awesome. The ride is amazing. However, the fork is discontinued. Getting parts for it may become difficult. People have bought up lots of parts and extra forks just to have spare parts. And they are known to be a little finicky as well as requiring fairly frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
don't get me started with Dorados, they ride amazing, when they work. I had to send mine to Manitou twice in the same month, eventually I just gave up and bought a travis. A great fork.

Manitou has great CS though in my opinion, but you really couldn't get much help if it breaks now since its discontinued, as mentioned

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
My friend has one on his vp free, he hardly ever rides, the bike stays at my place, so I've had plenty of times to play with it. It feels very nice, plush and I think it would be great for racing. My only problem with it is that it is very flexi. I freeride and jump mostly, and after even a minor crash, the front wheel will be off a few degrees or sometimes more. You can bend it back fairly easily, but that kinda freaks me out. My 888 vf2 handles the abuse sooooo much better.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bend it back? Doesnt it crack instead of bend? It's Carbon Fibre... I can understand the flex though, dont think that would be too much of a problem for me as i'm like 120lbs geared... i'm just really worried about it surviving crashes...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I think he means that the stanchion tubes are turning or twisting inside the crowns. That even happens with the Shivers. The flex is there, since it is an inverted fork, but it's really not that bad. It tracks well, and that little bit of give is real nice in the rocky stuff.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I think he means that the stanchion tubes are turning or twisting inside the crowns. That even happens with the Shivers. The flex is there, since it is an inverted fork, but it's really not that bad. It tracks well, and that little bit of give is real nice in the rocky stuff.
yeah, but what about durability???

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I think he means that the stanchion tubes are turning or twisting inside the crowns.
Yeah, thats what I meant. It tripped me out, because I thought it was the usual stem slipped a bit, but the stem was dead center...and the wheel is about 5 degrees off. So anyway, I would recommend it if you are a careful rider and want a very light, plush great looking fork! I would not get one personally, I crash a bit too much.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmmm... man... desicions... i think i most probably wont go for it... i'm really scared of snapping it somehow... i crash a lot... and as for the oil leaking through the cf, i just dont think i'm skilled enough to deal with things like that... but it's definitely a thought... i just might get one...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Phi.Design said:
Yeah, thats what I meant. It tripped me out, because I thought it was the usual stem slipped a bit, but the stem was dead center...and the wheel is about 5 degrees off. So anyway, I would recommend it if you are a careful rider and want a very light, plush great looking fork! I would not get one personally, I crash a bit too much.
It's just something that tends to happen with most inverted forks. For the racer, the tradeoff might be worth it. Inverted forks are so much smoother and track the ground better. Less unsprung mass. Leaks can potentially be more of a problem. Since everything is inverted, the seals are constantly immersed in oil.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
if you weigh a buck 20, and are just learning dh, you wont snap it, but oh well. Just keep your drop off for a while, its not that bad of a fork. I thought you were on that super huge budget but now you can afford annother fork? why not just get a nice one in the first place?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i'm on a budget but TimF has one he says he wants to get rid off... wanted to see what you guys thought of it...

The dropoff is doing good btw... though things could be better... haha. I dont see why people talk so much **** about it though... Although it did take some time of trail and error with it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.