Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing a Dorado for my Canfield One frame. The listed a2c height is 591. This will be my first dual crown purchase and from what i have found is it is around 25-30 more then most long travel forks. I currently have a Totem on the bike which is about 565 with an external cup headset which probably adds another 10mm so well say 575 a2c. Can the Dorado's stachions be raised into the crowns enought to get it within a couple mm of 575? Or is 591 the minimum? I suppose changing to zero stack headset will help some to.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
There is nothing physically stopping you running the crown lower (until you run out of parrallel stanchion of course). But you want to be very sure of all your measurements before riding it in anger.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The Dorado 29er is 591mm

The standard Dorado is quoted as 567mm A2C, which isn't so huge and will be the one you want for your Canfield.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@FixTheSpade: I'm pretty sure the 567 vs 591 is for running it in 180 vs 203 setting (don't know where that 1mm difference went though...)

Yes, the Dorado builds a bit high, and I had similar reservations when I got it for my the One. Additionally, Chris Canfield advised running them in the highest possible setting because of the One's low BB.

I tried that, and found it made the bike too slack for general park riding -- may be a good setting if your riding gnarly steeps a lot. I went back to the lowest possible crown setting, and preferred that, but that did increase pedal strikes a lot, so I'm going to install some 165mm cranks (currently have 175mm).

Additionally, you should be aware that, with 40s and 888s and Boxxers having a lower a2c, most riders actually run them with the crown raised quite a a bit, riser bars, etc. That means that most people are running those forks quite a bit away form the lowest possible setup.

In my experience, the Dorado is a great fork on the One, keeping the following options in mind:
* Install it with the crown as low as possible
* Zero stack headset
* 165 or shorter cranks
* Flat bars
* A stem that's a bit longer than usual so you can get the bars to drop past the fat stanctions (depends on your bar shape).

On the 2013 the One, the head angle was steepened a bit because people will mainly building it as an all-mountain slayer. The longer Dorados will get you a bit more towards its older, more DH oriented, geometry.

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys..

@ drLee- I think your right about min axle to crown heights. I haven't seen anything that says you can go lower than 591 @ 203mm. I'm sure you can, but as far as what Manitou has documented that is the lowest. Looking closer at the manual online it states that the lower clamp needs to be between 0-15mm below the top of the clamping diameter. I can get it down to within 15mm A2C of where it sits now with a Totem and external cup head set. The offset is about 7mm more on the dorado than the Totem so that should counter having a little higher A2C. Plus I'm interested in trying it at 180 on some of the smoother trails around here.

I'm going to give it a shot, found a '13 pro for sale locally I'm going to buy. At worse if I don't like it I can sell at or close to what I bought it for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts