Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a Manitou Splice Comp and I want something better so I want to know if the Manitou Black is a good upgrade and if I'll be able to use it hard for a long time? My lbs told me it was great but they sell it so I'm not sure if they're just saying that to get me to buy it or if it really is a good upgrade.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Better than Splice, but

Like so many of the manitou products, it will be hit or miss on the quality. If you get a good one, you should be fine. If you get a bad one, it can be very bad. If reliability is what you seek in the long term, look at Marzocchi.

Bob

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Waaay better, I have a 2002 elite 100-120 coil sprung, no problems whatsoever, plushhh. Great fork! I'd say go for it..:thumbsup: Manitous are easily serviceable, tuneable, have great customer service and ride good. Other option I'd consider would be Rock Shok's revelation.

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
I had a 2002 Black, as well, and loved it. Other than the decals peeling off (superglued 'em back on), it was an excellent, maintenance-free fork.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
I've got a black super- does anyone know if i can change the spring? Dive under braking is awful and i hate tuning it with the compression adjustment.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Put in a 'firm' spring, which has made a world of a difference. Install was very straightforward, except that finding a 28mm socket was a bit of a challenge and i had to grind off the end of it so it could grip the stupid plastic screw. Answer, if you're reading this, another 1/8" on that damn screw would be worth the weight penalty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts