Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Manitou Black Elite which is preset at 100mm and I was wondering if it is possible to change the fork into a 120mm fork...possibly by changing the springs and adding a new top cap. When I disassemble the left leg...the side with the spring...it seems like there would be enough space to add a longer spring...would I need to make any changes to the rebound damping side? The stanchions seem to have about 120mm of travel. I was wondering if anyone has done this modification or if it is even possible w/out destroying the fork.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but I was just looking at the schematics today and saw that legs, dampers, springs, etc. all have part numbers specific to the travel length. So I am guessing that it would be more cost effective to buy a new fork rather than buying all those parts.

maybe someone else knows more?

Mr. P

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah...I think you are right about that. I think everything is basically the same between the 100mm and 120mm forks except that for a longer coil and a longer internal damping system. I do think it would be much cheaper to just buy a new fork! Anyone interested in a 2004 Manitou Black Elite 100mm travel disc only w/ external rebound? I got pics!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.