Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticed this? I'm trying to mount a Hayes caliper and it seems like the holes for the caliper bolts are drilled wrong... they seem a little crooked and possibly drilled in the wrong place, like too far outboard... can't mount the caliper at all without having the inside pad rub so much I can't spin the wheel.

Is there any way to convert post mount to IS?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Boy, have I got a story for you...

I bought my daughter a 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 500 last summer and one of the first things I did was to get a set of Hayes hydraulic brakes for it since it came with disc ready wheels.

I checked both the Manitou and Hayes websites to try to get the latest scoop for mounting these brakes.

Here's the interesting part…

The Manitou site says to refer to the brake maker's instructions and the Hayes site says (said) to torque the adaptor mounting bolts to 110 inch pounds. When I looked at the length of the bolts and held it up to the hardware, there was less threads protruding than I was comfortable with, but I didn't know if anything longer would damage the lowers by being tightened to far into them. I checked the websites because I wanted to do it right the first time. I followed the instructions of the brake maker and promptly stripped the magnesium lowers of the fork on a bike that was less than two weeks old.

I called Manitou tech support and was able to speak to a tech immediately. They were aware of the issue. They were so aware of the issue that they have a bolt kit made specifically to deal with this issue. It has longer bolts and the instruction to torque them to 80 inch pounds instead of 110 inch pounds. They exchanged my lowers as they should have since I DID MY DUE DILIGENCE BY LOOKING TO THEM FOR GUIDANCE AND FOLLOWED THEIR INSTRUCTIONS WHICH LEAD TO ME STRIPPING THE LOWERS (and let's just say it was done very promptly since I live only five miles from their HQ). AND they let me choose to have no brakes bosses on the new lowers and gave me a choice of colors, decals etc.

Absolute TOP DRAWER customer service.

That's why I felt perfectly comfortable purchasing the new Swinger shock and Minute fork to retrofit my old ride.

Call Manitou and get the longer bolts and torque them to the new specifications. Works perfectly.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I remember reading about this when it happened. Did you post it then?

Anyway, I already mounted the caliper but I did not torque it yet. It didn't seem like there was an issue with the bolt length, but I'll still torque it to 80 in/lbs instead of 110.

Any idea how long the replacement bolts were, so I can compare to what I have? These brakes were OEM, so there may be some hardware differences.

What actually ended up solving the problem I was having was putting washers between the hub and the caliper...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmmmmm

This happened to me. I was mounting the Hayes caliper to my Black fork on sunday. The first bolt went in just fine. I got in trouble with the second one. I was carefull when inserting the bolt and not to tighten it too much. Somehow, I stripped the threads and I kicked a can of coke half way over the floor in anger......then used some obsene norwegian phrases.

I contacted Answer on this one, asking them what to do and if I could just "helicoil" the fork and be a happy camper...... The answer was "DO NOT HELICOIL THE FORK" and "SEND THE FORK TO YOUR DISTRIBUTOR"..... well I guess they do know about the problem, but they should have told me before i moutned the darn thing. Oh by the way, I have the "short" bolts you are talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.