Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a Manitou Axel (2005 model from a Marianna) compatible with a 2002 Giant NRS frame?
If so, which shock is better, the NRS stock Rock Shox Pilot SL, or the Manitou Axel. Also, anybody know how the nobs and twisty things on the Axel work?
Thanks for any help....

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
Is a Manitou Axel (2005 model from a Marianna) compatible with a 2002 Giant NRS frame?
If so, which shock is better, the NRS stock Rock Shox Pilot SL, or the Manitou Axel. Also, anybody know how the nobs and twisty things on the Axel work?
Thanks for any help....
Both are low end forks. If you can, look at some better ones (Black, Marathon, Skarab, Sid, etc) in the 80-100mm range.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
Thanks for any help....
Yes it is with the frame. But check your brakes. Those might not be compatible.

I haven't been on a Pilot but I had on an Axel and I liked it. It's a low end fork but it simply works. Don't expect stellar performance 'cos it's not there.

You don't say which model of Axel, so I don't know which knobs it has. Mine had adjustable rebound (bottom right leg, blue dial) and preload (black knob on top of left leg). I needed a lighter spring and the rebound works little but it work.

You might want to take a look at a Marzocchi EXR Pro. It works too.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Warp2003 said:
You might want to take a look at a Marzocchi EXR Pro. It works too.
Although stay away from the Marzocchi EXR comp.

Manitou's low end forks are very good for the price. If you are going for a budget, that would probably be my choice.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

robsetsfire said:
Although stay away from the Marzocchi EXR comp.

Manitou's low end forks are very good for the price. If you are going for a budget, that would probably be my choice.
I'm not sure whether to upgrade or not. I like to do pretty serious riding, and i am thinking of buying a new NRS Carbon in 2-3 years when i am allowed to enter the 24 hr race (i'm only 13)
still not sure whether to buy new shock or not. :confused:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
I'm not sure whether to upgrade or not. I like to do pretty serious riding, and i am thinking of buying a new NRS Carbon in 2-3 years when i am allowed to enter the 24 hr race (i'm only 13)
still not sure whether to buy new shock or not. :confused:
I re-read your original post...

Don't upgrade if you're saving for a new rig. You're growing and it might be money sent to the trashcan as you'll maybe need a new frame in 3 years anyway. Ride as it is and show your dad you're serious about riding.

He'll go back at you with a decent rig to start your racing career. I would. My dad bought me a "nice" ride (considering he couldn't afford anything else) when he saw I was riding seriously and I broke (by riding) the downtube of my old rig...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.