Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've just recently got myself an 05 spider for a very nice price (well nice for the uk anyway).I moved over from a heckler with a 5th air,I am shocked how much better performing the vpp suspension is on this bike,it really has blew me away.

Anyway,onto the subject,it came supplied with the 3way shock,this feels incredibly nice apart from one small problem i'm noticing which is the rebound.
Could 3way owners tell me whether the shock has a night and day difference between fastest rebound and slowest? cos in all honesty I can hardly notice a difference no matter how much rebound I have (it always seems really fast),both while riding or just applying pressure,wondering if I might be wise to send it to tf for a full service and test.

Was originally planning to go for the monoblock and vpp specific pused rp3 but if I can get this sorted I can save myself a fortune.


many thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
3 way on tracer...

wiiija said:
Could 3way owners tell me whether the shock has a night and day difference between fastest rebound and slowest? cos in all honesty I can hardly notice a difference no matter how much rebound I have (it always seems really fast),both while riding or just applying pressure,wondering if I might be wise to send it to tf for a full service and test.
Changing the rebound speeds on my 3-way makes a noticeable difference (I prefer it slow!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
You should easily be able to see a noticeable difference in rebound rates on that shock, between fully active or fully damped rebound. Just cycle the shock by hand and watch how it rebounds, if you don't see a noticeable difference in the two settings, you have a problem with the shock. Send it in.

I have Swinnger 3-way shocks on both my Spider, and Fisher Sugar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

The rebound damping seems shot on this,so it deffinately needs a service.I'm getting more and more tempted to go for the push spider monoblock and pushed rp3 combination,just dont want to pay out all that money and be dissapointed.decisions,decisions :)


Cheers
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
Send an email to Manitou

They have very good customer service and should be able to take care of the problem for you. Email addy for them is listed on their website.

wiiija said:
Thanks guys.

The rebound damping seems shot on this,so it deffinately needs a service.I'm getting more and more tempted to go for the push spider monoblock and pushed rp3 combination,just dont want to pay out all that money and be dissapointed.decisions,decisions :)

Cheers
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
wiiija said:
Hi all,

I've just recently got myself an 05 spider for a very nice price (well nice for the uk anyway).I moved over from a heckler with a 5th air,I am shocked how much better performing the vpp suspension is on this bike,it really has blew me away.

Anyway,onto the subject,it came supplied with the 3way shock,this feels incredibly nice apart from one small problem i'm noticing which is the rebound.
Could 3way owners tell me whether the shock has a night and day difference between fastest rebound and slowest? cos in all honesty I can hardly notice a difference no matter how much rebound I have (it always seems really fast),both while riding or just applying pressure,wondering if I might be wise to send it to tf for a full service and test.

Was originally planning to go for the monoblock and vpp specific pused rp3 but if I can get this sorted I can save myself a fortune.

many thanks
Send your Swinger to TF Tuned Shox as you are in the UK. A friend of mine had his 4-Way swinger done by them recently and he had good things to say. You can also get the Push Mono-Block for the Manitou shock. You should be able to get it from TFT. Be careful though. There is a difference between the Mono-Blocks for the Fox and the Manitou. I'm running a Mono-Block with a 4-Way Swinger on my 5point5 and I felt a big difference when it was fitted.

Ronnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
Make sure you have at leat 50psi in the IFP chamber. If it goes below that the shock loses all damping.

Ronnie: I think the monoblocks are the same for Fox and Manitou. You only need to specify the shock type because they use different reducers. You want to make sure you get the right bushing/reducer for your shock, otherwise the monoblock is useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
You probably are right for the Spider Mono-Block. I've never worked on the Spider. When they first tried fitting the Mono on the 5point5 with the 4-Way they found that they had to machine a small amount of metal off to clear the shock. Mind you, come to think of it, I think it was because of the piggy-back on the 4-Way.

Ronnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cheers everybody!

Hecubus,does the spv chamber lose pressure once you remove the pump or is that just the old "its the pump releasing pressure not the shock" thing?

Reason I ask,I put 75psi in there,then remove the pump,put the pump on again and its reading 50.As I usually set it to 50 I'm concerned that it may well be down to 30 after pump removal.


Cheers for your help everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Its possible that you loose pressure when removing the pump but with most good pumps you should not. Here is a real little gem from Reset Racing in Germany which I use on my pump. (Click on Air Port or Air Port 90.) It allows the valve on the shock to close completely before removing the pump and there is never any doubt that your pressure is constant. Your gauge may not be accurate but the pressure is the same every time. You can order it direct and they'll ship it to you.

Ronnie.
 

·
Penny's my cow-cat
Joined
·
303 Posts
which one

Ronnie said:
Its possible that you loose pressure when removing the pump but with most good pumps you should not. Here is a real little gem from Reset Racing in Germany which I use on my pump. (Click on Air Port or Air Port 90.) It allows the valve on the shock to close completely before removing the pump and there is never any doubt that your pressure is constant. Your gauge may not be accurate but the pressure is the same every time. You can order it direct and they'll ship it to you.

Ronnie.
Ron, which one do you have, the AIR PORT Micro or the AIR PORT 90? :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I've actually got both but I use the Air-Port 90. Its new and it goes onto the valve easier.

Ronnie.
 

·
Penny's my cow-cat
Joined
·
303 Posts
Air-Port 90 it is! (Aus Deutschland mit liebe)

Ronnie said:
Hi Jeff,
I've actually got both but I use the Air-Port 90. Its new and it goes onto the valve easier.

Ronnie.
Hey Ron, thanks. You have all the great toys. Looks like I'll order one of those babies this week. I had enough of the sssssssssssssssss when I take off my air pump. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Hey Ron, thanks. You have all the great toys. Looks like I'll order one of those babies this week. I had enough of the sssssssssssssssss when I take off my air pump. :cool:
Well I don't know about that! After all, its you that's got the 6point6. :) . By the way it still goes "sssssssssssssssssss" when you take of the pump but it is definitely pressure in the pump as you should have retracted the knob that opens the valve.

Ronnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Ronnie said:
Well I don't know about that! After all, its you that's got the 6point6. :) . By the way it still goes "sssssssssssssssssss" when you take of the pump but it is definitely pressure in the pump as you should have retracted the knob that opens the valve.

Ronnie.
Hi Ronnie, I find when i use my Fox pump on my rp23 which was tuned up by TFT that on removing it i also get the escape of air? I assume then that is not coming from the shock but the pump itself? Cheers
 

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
All your hearing is air escaping from the pump/line itself. The reason that the above poster lost 25psi(from 75)... He HAD 75psi when he removed the pump. Then..when he reattached the pump, the pump is again pressurized(basically in essence, the pump is now part of the shocks air chamber, making it larger in volumn) by the shocks air chamber. The shock air chambers are such low volumnr, that it will lose 25psi when the inside of the pump/hose/gauge is pressurized(so it can give a reading in the first place). Get it?

I too had a 3way. The rebound [email protected] Just stuck a new 08 fox Float R on it. What a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
6.5" x 1.5"
Well I have something wrong with my Manitou swinger 3 ways, I am not able to measure the 160mm eye to eye shox lengh and not able to get more than 28 to 32mm of travel while normally it's supposed to be 38mm?
Any advice? I have 210 psi in the main chamber for 90 in spv chamber for a rider weight of 175lbs and a SAG of 25% (9.5mm)...
The main chamber pressure seems high to me??? But this is what I need to put to have the correct sag :madman:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top