Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spotted a Manitou Swinger 3-way air shock (7.875" x 2.25") for less than US$160 and was thinking about trying it out on my X5 in order to drop a bit of weight for trail riding (I'd keep my DHX-C for anything remotely DH).

Has anyone got any experience on this shock and wants to warn me off this purchase? I'm about 210lbs in riding gear and have only ever had a coil on the X5.

I would love an RP23 or DHX-Air but am short of funds. Have looked for 2nd hand in the classifieds but used DHX-As are around $250..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a 2007 swinger 3-way for my X5 recently (interesting that it was really cheap at£160, are we mugs in the uk?). I've found that in comparison to the DHX air that came on my frame, it is not as plush, but the platform is effective and there is little bobbing in any of the platform settings. The new platform adjuster is good also in that you dont have to faff around with a shock pump. Another plus point is that, unlike fox shocks, the air valve and platform adjuster are both on the same side of the shock, so it is possible to add air with the adjuster facing outwards, making life easier on the trail. The feel of the shock is definitely more 'XC' in nature than the DHX, but it can handle bigger hits without problems. It also weighs about 200 gms less than the DHX. I have just put the DHX back on my X5 following a 'stuck down' return visit to Mojo and I have noticed that the DHX is much plusher and in my view better suited to the character of the X5. The DHX has far more tunability (which could also mean you can make it perform like a complete pig!). I also own a pushed RP3 (on my Salt), which I prefer to either of them.

In summary I dont think the swinger is as good as a DHX or RP3, but it is still a good performer, cheaper (by miles) and fit and forget. You may find that coming from the plushness of a coil it seems a bit harsh, but it will be very light and the platform performance is excellent.

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FoShizzle said:
what year X5? isnt the 2.25" with the 7.875 problematic on some sizes? 6" rockers?
Thanks Fo - it's a 19" 2005 X5 with the 5/6" rockers... was there intereference problems with the air valves or something??

As I'm pretty short of $ and this is kinda an experiment, maybe I should go for the shorter stroke shock from Santa Cruz and have 4.5 and 5.4".. would certainly be a worth a look - not sure if SC will ship the shcok to Australia for me though...

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i dont recall....i "think" there may have been issues with the seatstay yoke hitting the seattube (I probably screwed that up.....but something hitting something)....but may have only been on the 2004 in smaller sizes. I would certainly contact Sherwood ahead of time.

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Grinch said:
In summary I dont think the swinger is as good as a DHX or RP3, but it is still a good performer, cheaper (by miles) and fit and forget. You may find that coming from the plushness of a coil it seems a bit harsh, but it will be very light and the platform performance is excellent.
Grinch - thanks for this.

I'm starting to feel very tempted with Fo's option after your report - the Santa Cruz shocks are the older version that don't have the piggyback or on-the-fly platform adjustment, but I reckon it'd be OK for XC stuff.

If I get the correct reducers for the shaft eyelet, swapping shocks between the DHX-C and the Swinger should be a relatively quick job...

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh.. damn it - looks like Santa Cruz only ship to US and Canada so I'm outta luck. What have they got against us Australians anyway?

I think I'd better contact Sherwood and see what he says about the 2.25" stroke on my X5.. thanks Fo.

·
Registered
790 Posts
And we were swangin'

I have a 2006 X5 and ran a 4way with the 5" rockers and both a 3 way as well as a DHX air with the 6" rockers.

After all these experiements on the same bike, I am now firmly a believer that piggyback shocks offer plushness and tunability that you don't find in non-piggyback shocks, at least for a bigger rider (I weigh #215).

It may just be the way the regular shocks are tuned, and I would not be surprised if PUSH-ing the regular ones might get you to the same place.

But I like the 4way and the DHX a LOT better than the rest I have tried. (3way, Float R, DT 210).

·
melon farmer
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh.. this is what I want to hear. I'm hoping I can pick up a DHX Air or a recent Swinger 4 way from the classifieds.

I'd love to retain full travel AND save a pound of weight or so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.