Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Old Intense owners inquire within.
I'm riding a 2001' UZZI-SL which I built up in 02' and it's still going strong.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

When new in 2002' on Big Laguna Trail / Noble Canyon, San Diego.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

And the recent build up, photo at Lake Hodges, San Diego.

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Anybody care to share a vintage INTENSE with us? I still ride this 01' UZZI SL and love the way it rides. This is an old photo and most parts have been updated since.
So how about it, anybody else still still on a classic?

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Tracer Chris! Apparently we're the only two still riding the fine bikes that put INTENSE at the top. How about it anybody else still riding a vintage INTENSE? Post up some photos.

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
starship303 said:
by vintage you mean pre-VPP?
Yeah any INTENSE pre VPP would do. I'm just curious what early INTENSE bikes are still out on the trail..

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I was riding a tracer similar to Nordstadt's up until a couple years ago. In 2003 it was my dream bike after riding a spesh rockhopper hardtail for 5 years.

And it ended up as a very light full suspension singlespeed. I sold it on ebay and its still on the trails AFAIK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is my classic

This was my dream bike when I was a starving student riding a fully rigid second hand Bridgstone. I open up my first Mountain Bike Action mag and there it was an Uzzi SL. A vision of beauty. By the time I could afford one they stop making it so I purchased a custom Uzzi SLX, it was on order and I saw this one at Big Bear at a AM cup race. I have upgraded some items since I bought it:

DSC02739

Intense Hadley Hub and a 03 Marzocchi Z1 Freeride
DSC02734

I wish they would do this on the new bikes
DSC02735

Got my dream bike and it is a Prototype
DSC02737

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Very nice ride! My UZZI-SL has that same USA stamp on the swing arm..:cool: So what makes that bike a prototype? Other than the paint what is different? The parts group is nice but prototype useually has to do with something different in frame or suspension design. Just curious but the bike is sweet either way.:thumbsup:BTW awesome paint and decal scheme. The decals are identical in shape to stock but custom in color.

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure its the same the person I bought it from I think raced for Intense-Maxxis. The decales are the most current I cut out the yellow.
Great idea on the decals. You have a close up of the serial number is there something different about it?

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
"PROTO" is the serial number. Are you running gothic rotors? I have one in the rear wheel loking for a 8" for the front
"PROTO" too cool!
Yeah i'm running Hope minis with 6" rotors and only the front is gothic. There has been many upgrades since that old photo.Chris King red hubs laced to Mavic 729s w/red nipples on black rims, kenda nevs. 2.35s. Sram XO trigger shifters and XO rear der. XTR crank and rear cassette. Crank Brothers Joplin w/remote adj. Seatpost. Thomson stem,Chris King head set carbon spacers,Easton monkey lite carbon bars. O.D.I. Lock ons w/ Intense grips. SDL gel saddle w/Intense cover. Fox Vanilla RLC 125 mm fork Fox RC shock and Time carbon titanium ATAC pedals. Well that about covers the current build. Apparently I'm way bored as I wait for my dog to to get his yearly grooming.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just picked up an old Intense frame that was powder coated. I had no idea what model or year it was until stumbling upon this thread. Apparently it is an old Tracer but still don't know year. From the look of the design I would guess between 1999 and 2001. Design is similar to a '99 Specialized Stumpy FSR I have sitting in garage. The Tracer has XTR cranks and Fox rear suspension. It looks like I can adjust geometry quite a bit. Any advice as I build up this classic? I have some SRAM X7 stuff lying around that I will put on as well as a leftover Avid BB7 disc brakes. I also have some Mavics 717 with Deore hubs and Raptor tires. I haven't picked out a fork yet. Any idea what the travel is on the Fox rear?

·
Registered
130 Posts
pomocanthus the rear travel on a uzzi sl is 4.75". I would use your leftover part and have fun. When i first purchased the bike I had a 100mm fork Manitou then I got a good deal on a 125mm Fox Talas and currently running a 130mm Z1. I would not go over 130mm. I hope this helps.

·
45,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
eluv, thanks for info. I actually have a Tora w 130 travel that I was thinking about putting on there but wasn't sure til now. BTW, like the rims on your MCS in the background.
You said you bought an old Tracer not an UZZ-SL correct? If so the rear travel is 3.5 " which makes a 130mm fork too tall up front. That frame is designed for a 80mm to a 100mm max. You could put a UZZI-SL link on and run a 125mm-130mm fork and have an awesome light all around trail bike.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.