Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A good bud just sold me his 1997 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 hardtail which is in near-cherry condition. Components all work great. His wife rode this bike for about a year, and it's been sitting in their garage ever since.

I rode with my 2 buds at Aliso Woods this last Sunday morning, and the M2's riding characteristics/qualities all came back to me during the ride -- this is my 2nd M2, I stupidly sold my other about 10 years ago.

Man, what a STIFF frame! "Stiff" to a 40 year old phart now feels even more jarring to a 50 year old phart! BUT, jeezers, what pedaling and climbing efficiency! And, the bike still has that great balanced ride ... no front wheel/tire washing out when pushing speed into corners, no front wheel lifts on climbs, in fact I was pedaling out of saddle and was still getting incredible traction up some very steep ascents.

Anyway, this bike has me all excited about riding again. The last time I was this excited was when my same bud sold me his 1997 DBR V-Link Pro Carbon Fiber with full-on XTR, upgraded Marzocchi Z1 X-Fly 100mm fork, and John Tomac/Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Remember these? :)

Just wanted to share my excitement over my "new" bike. It brings back some fond memories, and I sure do love climbing on it!

·
Gear Whore
1,352 Posts
I used to own one of the old M2 Teams (same one that Ned won the worlds on)....it was red, fast and sexy....but if you scratch it...the paint flakes off. Post up some pics! :D

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pete, we gotta start a Stumpjumpers Club! *LOL* And, glad you're getting reacquainted with your Stumpy. I subscribe to Bicycling, and man do they have some gorgeous, sleek road bikes these days! Wow! But, nothing like dirt for me! :)

BTW, were you and your family affected at all by all the weather problems that TX experienced in the last few months?

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Ike was a dud here in central Texas--here in Killeen we received a whopping .02 in of rain and some 30 MPH winds that lasted several hours.

Schwinng said:
Pete, we gotta start a Stumpjumpers Club! *LOL* And, glad you're getting reacquainted with your Stumpy. I subscribe to Bicycling, and man do they have some gorgeous, sleek road bikes these days! Wow! But, nothing like dirt for me! :)

BTW, were you and your family affected at all by all the weather problems that TX experienced in the last few months?

·
Drunken fool
228 Posts
I'm still riding my S-works M2, it's now more of a commuter all around bike now though. I bought that new in 96 as my first "high" end bike and have put many miles on it. I still love that frame:thumbsup: I don't think I could ever sell that bike.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome to have fun on an old bike. My mom's Trek Mountain Track 800 still gets attention..from me.

Cross chained.

Look at the tensioner on your der.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I still ride/race my '97 S-Works M2

I've ridden 7 Leadville 100s, 5 Cascade Creampuffs, and a bunch of other endurance races on it. Lots of good memories and one bad (I rolled my car with it in it).

I just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon Carbon, though, so no more racing on the S Works. The carbon frame with a modern fork has a much smoother ride. The S-Works will be my backup bike, I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
hey sybil...

...does this mean you're gonna change your screen name back to 'M2'? ;)

love and kisses,

your Seoul brutha

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
parkmeister said:
...does this mean you're gonna change your screen name back to 'M2'? ;)

love and kisses,

your Seoul brutha
PARKMEISTER!!! *LOL* You're one of the few people still around here who even remembers me by that handle!!! Actually, I thought about it!!! Ha!!!

Don't own a Schwinn any longer ... just a '97 DBR V-Link Pro carbon fiber, this '97 M2, and a '08 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29'er.

Let me know whenever you come down to L.A. and you want to ride Brown Mtn or the Santa Monicas.

Later, kimchee breath!

Herb

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good to see some more of these around. My racing bike is a stumpy pro from 97. Everything is upgraded on it except the derailleurs. It's still one of the lightest frames and it was made in the US

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Way cool...

I am building up a 15 inch Specialized Rockhopper made of Nitanium. Keeping the old frame and swapping most over to newer, not period specific, components.This is a backup up hardtail for the wife just in case the main ride is injured.

!Awesome bike and thanks for posting!

db

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey Schwinng - I've got the very same Stumpy Comp 2 - same cool blue and everything. I still ride that bike. It's been great to me as well. I've fianlly been looking at new bikes lately and having a real hard time choosing....none of them seem that great compared to my old Stumpy.

I'm trying to move to a FS due to a bad back but man, that stiff HT has spoiled me. Thanks for posting. Seeing your/my/our bike made my day.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts