Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I think I know the answer to this but here goes...

I will be in Mammoth the first week of March. Is there any hope of riding there that time of year or is everything still burried in snow? I'd extend my trip through the weekend if I can ride!

· Registered
4,102 Posts
AZ Stumpy said:
Unfortunately I think I know the answer to this but here goes...

I will be in Mammoth the first week of March. Is there any hope of riding there that time of year or is everything still burried in snow? I'd extend my trip through the weekend if I can ride!
No offense, but that's kind of like asking if you should take your golf clubs to the Great Barrier Reef. If you don't do winter sports, Death Valley is a couple hundred miles south-east, and has nice road biking that time of year.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HarryCallahan said:
No offense, but that's kind of like asking if you should take your golf clubs to the Great Barrier Reef. If you don't do winter sports, Death Valley is a couple hundred miles south-east, and has nice road biking that time of year.
I just thought since I was in town for a week anyway it would be a cool get to ride a day or 2. Guess not. Thanks

· Registered
4,102 Posts
AZ Stumpy said:
I just thought since I was in town for a week anyway it would be a cool get to ride a day or 2. Guess not. Thanks
AZ Stumpy,

I hope my earlier response didn't seem too sarcastic. I was just trying to be a little humorous, albeit at your expense. Downtown Mammoth is at an elevation of around 8,000 feet, and the ski mtn goes up from there. Generally in March the town is snow covered.

The east side of the Sierra is very steep; almost no foothills. Just due to terrain, there's surprisingly little riding, even in the summer.

Depending on weather between now and then, as well as the week you are there, you might be able to do some road biking down in Long Valley just south of Mammoth, or in the Owens Valley down around Bishop, or east from Mono Lake out towards Nevada. Death Valley would be a serious option on your way to or from Mammoth. March ought to be very nice out there.

Otherwise, enjoy Mammoth. It's a beautiful place - one of my favorites!

HC

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Lower Rock Creek is super easy to get to (right next to the road, can easily loop ride or shuttle) - the top is 7000', the bottom is 5000'. If it's snowed in (snow chance maybe 1 out of 3 in March), you can often still ride the lower section(s) of that trail (the road crosses it twice - at 6400' & 6100'). There are some other fun rides in the Bishop area that you could do on the way to or from Mammoth - but not worth heading to on a day trip from Mammoth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.