Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mammoth Mountain ~ VIDEO ~

UncleMTB and I just returned from two days at Mammoth Mt., CA, where we did most of the non-advanced trails. Since I had to break my "one ride per week" rule we decided to take advantage of gravity the first day by taking the gondola up the 11,000+ ft. peak and riding down "Off the Top" and "Beach Cruiser" twice, followed by some nice XC into town. We had heard about the sometimes deep pumice so we took it easy the first run. However, it's pretty light stuff and much easier to float through than anything on the Tahoe Rim Trail or Cannel Plunge. So the second run we really let go, reaching nearly 23 mph, and I made all of the dozen or so switchbacks. I'm an aerobic XC enthusiast so I was worried that all that downhill wouldn't be aerobically challenging. However, it certainly was. Except for the speed factor "Off the Top" is actually a fairly easy ride, with no more than a few less than two foot drops. I'm afraid of heights and the three gondola rides were the most difficult part of the trip. Below is a link to a video of "Off the Top". I'll put together some XC stuff in a few days. 44 meg, 7:03 long.

Right click to download

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
Nice video, gotta love Rammstein. Gets the blood pumping. Your camera man at least seems to be going a little slow though, you are going downhill right? :p

Wish there were some mountains like that 'round here.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Wherewolf said:
UncleMTB and I just returned from two days at Mammoth Mt., CA, where we did most of the non-advanced trails. Since I had to break my "one ride per week" rule we decided to take advantage of gravity the first day by taking the gondola up the 11,000+ ft. peak and riding down "Off the Top" and "Beach Cruiser" twice, followed by some nice XC into town. We had heard about the sometimes deep pumice so we took it easy the first run. However, it's pretty light stuff and much easier to float through than anything on the Tahoe Rim Trail or Cannel Plunge. So the second run we really let go, reaching nearly 23 mph, and I made all of the dozen or so switchbacks. I'm an aerobic XC enthusiast so I was worried that all that downhill wouldn't be aerobically challenging. However, it certainly was. Except for the speed factor "Off the Top" is actually a fairly easy ride, with no more than a few less than two foot drops. I'm afraid of heights and the three gondola rides were the most difficult part of the trip. Below is a link to a video of "Off the Top". I'll put together some XC stuff in a few days. 44 meg, 7:03 long.

Right click to download
Nice video and nice trail. I've gotta try the bike park next time I am there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Off the Top

Nice video. I've got footage from last years Mammoth trip heading down the same route. Will have to get it posted here one day. Will be heading up there middle of next month. Mammoth has turned into a once a year must do for the core group of people I ride with, its always a blast.

Mark.

Wherewolf said:

Right click to download

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
Pretty sweet video of Mammoth MTN. I love riding there, its a blast. I now ride alot up in the Pacific Northwest in Washington now that I live here and let me tell you this, great MTN biking. Some the best I've ever ridden. Enjoy your rides. Nice video by the way. I used to live in Turlock, Ca. Grew up there to be honest.

·
Registered
962 Posts
im there

You just seal'd my deal. Im gonna head up there next month. I was not aware of such sweet single track.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Thanks

for the contribution! Mammoth is the best. Anyone else going to the World Cup in September???

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
very nice

I haven't been up there in about 4 years now but I'm itching to go back. The trail systems are a lot of fun and offer a lot of variety.

Looking forward to footage of the other trails.

Michael

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Excellent...!

...I'll be trying to live up to that music next time we do Mammoth!

Sorry I kept disappearing...My "Need for Speed" is growing.

With the music from the video's playing in my head at Boggs yesterday, I nearly slid down the canyon as my front wheel washed...no armor and quite a rush.

We can work on skillz at Tahoe...See you friday.

And thanks for the work on the vid's...they will keep me warm in my old age.

Tim

What we wish for...

Attachments

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tahoe Friday!

Looks like the Friday ride at Tahoe is on. Still one spot if you want to come along. Stay overnight Thursday night, ride all day Friday with UncleMTB and a guy from back east I've never met. Let me know if you are interested. Still have to return to Oregon the following week and also hit Downieville and the Cannell Plunge in September. You are welcome to come along. Back to Annadel when the high country closes.

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Hey...Boggs has...

cohenfive said:
thanks again for sharing the video, looks like fun especially in the trees. are you guys still staying up in the higher elevations these days or are you riding in the bay area as well?
...elevation and is in the Bay Area...sort of.

I can meet you at Boggs most days and Annadell occasionally...Marin is for special occasions only! ( like chasing Trail Nazi's ).

Tim

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
UncleMTB said:
...elevation and is in the Bay Area...sort of.

I can meet you at Boggs most days and Annadell occasionally...Marin is for special occasions only! ( like chasing Trail Nazi's ).

Tim
i've been trying to find a tuesday afternoon for an annadel ride, that has been impy's day off. i can go tomorrow but i think impy's still on holiday....would like to get a guided tour rather than go up there myself...

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Boggs is it, till I get back from Tahoe...

cohenfive said:
i've been trying to find a tuesday afternoon for an annadel ride, that has been impy's day off. i can go tomorrow but i think impy's still on holiday....would like to get a guided tour rather than go up there myself...
...I have a full schedule getting ready for Tahoe so tomorrow morning at Boggs is the only opening for me.

I'll hook-up with you at Annadell soon.

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.