Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im jealous! That is so cool. You are lucky you get 2 see that on your rides. Im in northeast PA. Not much here except white tail deer n squirrels. Lol. It looks like you got pretty close.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice! ive only ever seen a moose butt.
Hahaha

Im jealous! That is so cool. You are lucky you get 2 see that on your rides. Im in northeast PA. Not much here except white tail deer n squirrels. Lol. It looks like you got pretty close.
Thanks, I feel pretty lucky. Also we see bald eagles fly over our head, and Arctic Foxes run through the woods :)

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
-James Dean

·
Registered
63 Posts
Omg. Now im pouting. I love Arctic foxes. Especially in the white phase. We have the eagles here. It used 2 be a rare sight but they growing in numbers. I usually only see them while kayaking. Im an animal nut. While a child growing up my mom had Noah's ark. 1 of the critters she had was a fox. Impish creatures. I would have 2 restrain myself from trying to make friends w every critter that crosses my path. You definitely have it made.amazing.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i thought this was gonna be about Moosey.

·
Wait for me!
687 Posts
Your a brave man. When I was in Jackson Hole for a bike trip last summer they kept telling us " if you see a bear, hoot and holler. If you see a moose with her calf, run!!!"

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
thats pretty awesome. my story's not as good but here goes. i live in so cali. so pretty boring for the most part. a buddy took me to cololrado and we road buffalo creek which is the best pump and flow singletrack i have ever ridden. any way im comin down a trail and see about 5 deer off to the rite. and one in the trail. i stopped 20 ft from her and she wouldnt budge and the rest stood there looking. i was dumfounded they wouldnt scatter. i stood there and the watchers left. the one in the trail just stood there lookin at me. after the other left she decided it might be time to go and catch up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nice picture, it's hard to get them to stand still when you find them in the woods, they're usually clomping all over the place.

That said, if I ran into a mama moose in the woods, I wouldn't put my bike down and take a photo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very cool !!

When I was mountain biking on vacation last summer in VT I came across a very large bull moose. Pictures do not do these animals justice. They are HUGE!! So I decided to get closer to take a picture. I got about 25 yards away before he let out a very deep (uggh uggh sound). It was at that time that I new I was a little too close.

Some time later I was watching a show on Nat Geo and heard a statistic that more people are killed by moose than grizzles. :eekster:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the positive comments. Usually mamma moose are animals you DON'T want to hang around.

As for me and this situation, my dog Mable and I were finishing a single track climb that comes out of the woods. We have to cross a fire road, and that's when I saw the cow get up. My black lab has encountered countless moose in her two years of age and I out of breath said, "Mable." (Not too concerned because she always runs away from other animals before she gets too close). After the cow got completely up I saw her BABY- baby calf! The calf didn't even come up to her knees. That's when I yelled, "Come" and my pup came running back. We took the longer fire road so that we could go around them. We were about 25 yards away from them (less when I snapped the picture) when I realized this mamma was acting REALLY calm compared to the other mamma moose I've encountered. That's why I took the time to take my phone out of my bag. I've only NOT seen a moose once or twice on these trails (ride there 4-5x a week), and I've never snapped a picture. On our 2nd lap around I knew the crossing was coming up, so I kept away as to not startle them. When the mom saw us, Mable was at my side and she lifted her hind end as to get up. She never took her front end off the ground, and she dropped back fully down before we even made it half way around her.

It wasn't until I got back to the car and think, but this "less than two week calf" probably was actually more like DAYS old... if that much! Mom was really tired and the calf was really small.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,752 Posts
I saw a female with her calf right next to the road last sunday. I got scared for a moment it would run in front on my car but it turned around.

P.S. That red stem really doesn't match your bike!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Your a brave man. When I was in Jackson Hole for a bike trip last summer they kept telling us " if you see a bear, hoot and holler. If you see a moose with her calf, run!!!"
Who is "they" ? I see moose with calves every spring. One time I was coming down out of the mountain and ran into 3 different pairs. I don't try to get them off the trail like I might do with a single moose, but I certainly feel no need to run away.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P.S. That red stem really doesn't match your bike!!!
First, I can't believe I'm actually going to waste my time responding to this. BUT here I go-

Actually, Bud, it fits well. The red stem gets accented by my red i9 hubs and the red decals on my white bars.

I spent some time figuring out what "I" liked, and what worked.

Go look at full shots of my bike and then try and bash me... or better yet- come ride with me in person so you can see it first hand! But you might want to snap a photo for yourself before we take off because I reckon you won't be able to keep up with me. You'll be too worried about how my baggys don't match my tshirt, which don't match my camelbak which none match my helmet! Eeek!

Go ahead and give me my negative feedback because I hurt your feelings. I just hope that others read your P.S. comment and flame you for it.

:) have a nice day.

-James Dean

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
more people are killed by moose than grizzles. :eekster:
It is also pretty amazing, what can happen to a car, and whoever is inside, when it hits the skinny legs of a moose and all the muscle and bone above hits the windscreen and roof...

I only recall two times when the moose I met in the woods didn't run away crashing through the bushes. One looked pretty young and didn't pay any attention to me until I was close and clapped my hands. Then it walked away. The other time, in spring time, there was a mama moose with two last year's calves. The cow got the young ones out of sight and came to see what I was doing:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the red stem looks great. I also like your huge snarl of cables/hoses, reminds me of my bike!

(nice moose btw)
Thanks! Hahaha the cables will get shortened one day when I have time to cut and rebleed lol

-James Dean

1 - 20 of 32 Posts