Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder about the mamasita also...

because it seems like an awesome ride, but the scandium/carbon joint seems like a defininte point of failure to me. I know that the clear coat cracks after a few rides, but that is just part of the rear taking the edge off of things. As for wheels, I have a set of the Crossmax29ers and they seem to be holding up to my girth (250 w/gear) but I guess they should for the price.

·
1,113 Posts
I am new to 29ers and scandium/carbon bikes. Ever since seeing a frame break in half in a XC race made me even more of a steel is real diehard.

While ago saw a friend riding a 29 SS and he was raving about it. I wanted to try it out.

I was able to borrow a mamasita.

The mamasita is built up as a rigid SS.

Nice bike, this thing is a rocketship and doesn't beat me to death like an aluminum frame'd hardtail.

Has made me consider one or wait until the selma comes out next year.

I weigh 210 with gear and was wondering how other think the bike would hold up?

Any heavier riders riding a mamasita? How is it holding up for you?

Also if you don't mind sharing what you find has been a stiff 29 wheel for you

Any breakage reported?

Thanks for your time, any feedback is appreciated.

·
1,113 Posts
chowdownca said:
because it seems like an awesome ride, but the scandium/carbon joint seems like a defininte point of failure to me. I know that the clear coat cracks after a few rides, but that is just part of the rear taking the edge off of things. As for wheels, I have a set of the Crossmax29ers and they seem to be holding up to my girth (250 w/gear) but I guess they should for the price.
Just found out. Should be no problem.

Ted from www.twentynineinches.com states he is 240 so should be 250 w gear.

Do you notice the crossmax's are flexy?

If I really push into a berm hard and fast the rear wheel flexes and the tire rubs.

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chainstay Yoke stability

Have you heard anything about the strength of the chainstay area? The flexy nature of them plus the cracking of the clearcoat worries me a little. Not to mention the ride is scandium, which all just seems to equal a dangerous combination for a larger rider. But I also heard that the Crossmax were flexy, and I haven't felt anything with them yet. But I haven't really had a chance to go out and pound them either...Since I have them on an Orbea, you'd figure that I'd know pretty fast if there's any rubbin' goin' on! Better reason to get a new Mama!

·
1,113 Posts
chowdownca said:
Have you heard anything about the strength of the chainstay area? The flexy nature of them plus the cracking of the clearcoat worries me a little. Not to mention the ride is scandium, which all just seems to equal a dangerous combination for a larger rider. But I also heard that the Crossmax were flexy, and I haven't felt anything with them yet. But I haven't really had a chance to go out and pound them either...Since I have them on an Orbea, you'd figure that I'd know pretty fast if there's any rubbin' goin' on! Better reason to get a new Mama!
Yes, but it is reported to be only through the clear coat.

Basically since scandium is an alloy theoretically will eventually fail just like aluminum will.

5 year warranty seems fair. So will get at least 5 years out of 800sh frame. That isnt a bad deal.

Will check the loaner I got for any damage.

Salsa does have excellent CS.

Guess gotta decide between the weight savings of the scandium is worth the risk....

I really like the ride so still and fast..

My Reynolds 853 frame seem flexy in comparison, yet the mamasita isnt beating my ass to death.

Thanks for sharing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.