Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have dug through all the threads I can find on this and am still a little confused.

There seems to be 2 magic gears for the Mamasita:
34/19 (slightly tight but not binding)
34/21 (using an older chain)

Anyone have long term experience on an SS Mamasita??
I have been running 32/20 for a long time so would prefer to stick to this gear but am happy to go either way.
Will a half link make much difference??
I dont want to have to fork out for an ENO rear hub.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Do you already have the bike? I would think long term on a magic gear, the gear would have to absolutely perfect. I think that's hard to achieve in a desired gear combo. You might find one that might work, but do you really want to be limited to one gear combo? Especially if it doesn't suit your terrain or style.

IMO, if you haven't bought the frame already, then wait for the Selma. If you have the frame already then sell it and buy a selma :p Otherwise I would use some type of tensioning device.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hand/of/Midas said:
if you magic gear it you'll save 1/3-1/2 of a pound over a selma.

i dont know the magic gear, but you could always run the White Ind. eccentric hub and run whatever gear you want.
Yep.
As per my first post, I dont want to do that if possible.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You can use a new chain on a 32x21 setup. i've been doing this for sometime now with no need to retention and no dropped chain. The eccentricker is also an option to consider.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am currently running 36x21 and find the tension to be perfect. Nice and quiet and no tensioner resistance....

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got her done.

Got a Jet.
Sold a Zion and a heap of unloved parts.
So that leaves.....................

SS'ed Mamasita with H-bars.
Weighs approx 8.6kg (less than 19lb).
this will be my SS but I have kept all of the drivetrain parts required to turn her into a geared XC weapon should the conditions suit.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love my H-bars.
This is my 2nd set (I used to have a pair of the ti ones but sold them when I offloaded my previous SS).
No need for the tensioner with the 32/21 gearing. Chain is slightly tight at the moment but I think it will loosen of to where I want it.
Chain is an 3//32 Izumi and I have been told that they are less prone to stretching. Time will tell.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I thought you could get an EBB or something like that. Maybe I am thinking about something else. Do they have a Scandium SS 29er??????????? I have been shoppin for a new build and love the Mamasita!!

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can get an Eccentriker if you want to be able to use other gear options but the magic gear I have seems to be working for the time being.
Others have reported using this same gearing long term with no issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
36x21 seems to fit her best. 34x21 & 32x21 should work as well.

36x18 works, BUT you need a half link and a tensioner to pick up the slack.

32x18 does not work at all. I tried playing with half links, more tension etc. No go on 32x18. Too much slack...this is when working with a pre-stretched chain.

I just ordered 34x17, which should give me a tighter version of 36x18 above, meaning less chain slack to tension...

I am also looking forward to experimenting with 32x17 which, in my opinion, looks like the perfect gear ratio for my area. hopefully not too much slack to pick up.

I do not have an Eccentricker. I do not have Eno. I am simply trying to work with combinations of different gear ratios to get around utilizing more complicated methods.

The calculator I used was: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ with 29'' wheels, a crank length of 175mm, and "Gear Inches" selected from the Gear Units dropdown ...

those were my thoughts...hope they helped.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
doesn't the frame size affect what will & won't work?
i'm condensing my stable and considering converting my mamasita to SS using magic gear. right now i run 34:18 & 19. my frame is a medium.
i love my current ss frame (soma juice) but i also love my mamasita, which i think would make a rigid ss rocket.
i'm going down to two mtbs: 100mm fully and rigid ss.

·
Registered
338 Posts
meltingfeather said:
doesn't the frame size affect what will & won't work?
i'm condensing my stable and considering converting my mamasita to SS using magic gear. right now i run 34:18 & 19. my frame is a medium.
i love my current ss frame (soma juice) but i also love my mamasita, which i think would make a rigid ss rocket.
i'm going down to two mtbs: 100mm fully and rigid ss.
I think the distance from the bottom bracket to the rear axel is the same on all sizes. My 34-19 magic gear worked fine on the XL Mamasita frame that someone else used on a smaller size.

I am almost down to 2 bikes (not counting the road bike)! I have my newish Jet 9 for the TMBRA series, and also now the rigid Mamasita for fun and maybe some SS races. It's a bummer they upped the SS distance for cat 1. I was hoping to do some shorter fun races with it.

Hey you're in central TX - you should buy my Nomad so I can finally get down to two MTBs...

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
jd1072 said:
I think the distance from the bottom bracket to the rear axel is the same on all sizes. My 34-19 magic gear worked fine on the XL Mamasita frame that someone else used on a smaller size.
you are correct, sir. i should have searched first. :D
found this:

CS all 17.9"
jd1072 said:
I am almost down to 2 bikes (not counting the road bike)! I have my newish Jet 9 for the TMBRA series, and also now the rigid Mamasita for fun and maybe some SS races. It's a bummer they upped the SS distance for cat 1. I was hoping to do some shorter fun races with it.
yeah... that's not counting my road bike, fixie, commuter & big dummy. ;)
i'm glad they split the cats (for selfish reasons). :p
jd1072 said:
Hey you're in central TX - you should buy my Nomad so I can finally get down to two MTBs...
you should buy my '08 Hei Hei 2-9 and '09 Soma Juice so I can get down to two ('11 Hei Hei 2-9 on order). :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was planning to do some SS racing, after all, the SSEC in held in Belgium this year. Currently I'm on a On One Inbred 29er but that's on the heavy side so I was thinking of converting my 08 mamasita to singlespeed, using a Trickstuff Exzentriker. Do you think this is a good idea ?????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.