Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was Just about to pull the trigger on a mamasita for my wife and have learned 3 girls who recently purchased them in small are having shifting problems which were told were inherited, what gives. To futher address the problem is it's chain suck and were told a bad batch of chain rings. One of the women went with another crankset and same results. I'm wondering if the small frame has anything to do with this...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I ride a small Mamasita. If the chainline is dirty I get chain suck if I am not careful going down to the granny gear.

For me a dirty chain starts the ride clean, it rains, there is a lot of mud/sand/water that gets kicked up, but not enough water to wash away the mud/sand. I had chain suck three times during the Leadville 100 last year but only when everything was covered with grit.

I tried the zip tie trick to hopefully prevent the chain suck and got caught out in rain/snow on dirt roads. Still had a chain suck issue, and the LBS guys were riding with me so they saw it happen.

Rings have been checked and filed where it was thought to be needed. Chain has been replaced.

All this said, it is still my favorite bike out of the six I have. I'll probably be racing on it again this coming season. I am learning to deal with the chain suck.

Just be sure that the chain stay is well wrapped all the way to bottom bracket and this will help some too.

Oh yeah, I'm running with the following:
Race Face Dues XC (2009)
SRAM X.0 grip shifters, rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, and a SRAM chain (the top of the line model, not sure the model number though).

I seem to have less problems when using the grip shifters and I shift gently rather than with the trigger shifters where the chain gets "dropped" down to the next ring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a new Small BM...having "Chain suck" issues, not riding in the mud and dirt yet either, drive train pretty clean and lubed
1 hour ride, it happen two times? Tearing up my frame!!
any insight?

·
Registered
946 Posts
me 3!...
This is what I got from Cambriabike.com

cost is $ 1.95 I got 4 of them. I haven't tryed to put it on yet but I will try to get to it today
I had chain suck going from the 32 to the 22 under a load (while climbing) I have only been out on this bike that one time.

If the Tektro C/S part doesn't fit then I'll make it fit! I am also running the Dues xc crank
22/32. Sram xo, xt front derailleur. I will get back to you guys later tonight.

The Tektro Chain Aligner weight is 42g.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The zip tie trick is to put a couple of zip ties on the chain stay right in the area the chain drops and jams between the chainring and chain stay. You need to pull the crank off to get them in the right spot. You will want the clasp of the zip ties on the bottom side of the chain stay positioned to fill the gap between the stay and the chain wheel where the jamming occurs.

For me, chain still dropped and sawed through the zip ties... sigh...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Zim007, I also have a BM I have only been out on it a few times and the chain suck hasn't
happend on that bike yet, But! it's it's happend on every bike that I have ever had so I'm
going to find something or make something for the BM as well.. The part in the pic will
most likely NOT WORK. The frame is way different down there.

Ok this is for the Mamasita. The part that I'm pointing at is the bottom I put a longer bolt
through there and put that threaded rear derailleur part on there, it helped make it more
stable becuse it rest on the bottom of the crossbrace.

·
Registered
946 Posts
#3 Here itis on the bike again.

#4 now all I have to do is find a shorter bolt but the one you see there thats to long
I had to use it becuse the one that came in the pack was to short, you can see what I was talking about the RD part resting on the crossbrace it makes it way more stabile and the shif cable needs room under there.

It just looks GETTOOOOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
560 Posts
It might be the Race Face chainrings causing the problem. I had lots of chainsuck issues on my niner air9 when I ran the dues's with the stock chainring. I'm pretty sure if you search, there is a thread about the chainrings and them being the cause of alot of issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What chain rings do you reccomend? I have a new Medium, frame Mamasita (w/ Dues cranks) that I have experienced chain suck in the small ring a few times for no appearant reason (flat ground easy riding).

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well as for theMamasita I have put about 150 miles on it sense I put that Tektro part on
and I have not had the chain come off yet and I have been staying in the 32 ring most of the time but I think this part will work for keeping the chain out from the frame, I forgot to let you know that I had to grind that tektro down in a few places, I am also going to put a
3rd eye up on the top as well.

Now for the Big Mama.. I droped the ball zim, I haven't got to it yet I have been doing a lot of riding and work, I did get the bike in my stand here is what I came up with.

I have used two of the Tektro parts here the top one I'll have to grinde the s*** out of it
and I'll to make sure it doesn't bind on the frame, also the top one needs to move more
forword.

As for the Race Face Dues it got a lot of bad reviews, I have it on the Mamasita but on my BM I have the Stylo 3.3, When I got my Mamasita I had already pland to put a different crank on it if I started to problems and it looks like I'm going to change it soon!
FWIW. My chain came off shifting under a load (up a hill ) going from the 32 to the 22.

Brazos, you know what I'm going to do is I'll take the R/F Dues off and try out the
Stylo 3.3 I'll try to get to it by the weekend, it's going to get cold this weekend anyways.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had crazy suck on my old bike (HeiHei 29 w/ a Stylo crank) and I tried everything: new rings, played w/ the BB, etc. Kona suggested the Shimano XT crank which I ordered and set up as a 2x9 w/ my Salsa bash and have not experienced any since. Crank was transfered to my Big Mama and has been trouble free. I really want to try the FifteenG, but I am hesitant of the unknown.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.