Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the ride of a Mamasita to a good riding steel hardtail frame like a Redline, Niner, etc? I would expect the Salsa to be more effecient and responsive. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
sjs514 said:
Has anyone compared the ride of a Mamasita to a good riding steel hardtail frame like a Redline, Niner, etc? I would expect the Salsa to be more effecient and responsive. Any help would be appreciated.
Well it will depend on what others really call good.
I have only a Zion to compare it to and the ride far exceeds it.
Then again I have never really gotten into the "smooth" ride of steel.
The Sir9 to me is springy and flexy. I did not really like the way it rides that much.
On the other hand, I had a steel Colnago and compared to my previous carbon stayed aluminium main frame roadie it was stiff, unforgiving and harsh. I know I am talking about a roadie but I felt every bump that bike hit. My ti roadie it is a completely different level of smooth again.

My Mamasita does smooth out the trails a little bit but it is still a hardtail. I really noticed it on the weekend when we did a 80+km touring ride. Part of this ride was around 20km of dirt roads with lots of stutter bumps from water run off. I still felt every one of those bumps despite the carbon stay. That being said, it is a beautiful bike. Looks gorgeous, handles well, climbs fantastically and accelerates quickly. I feel it is one of the most under appreciated 29ers on the market. Certainly every bit as good as the Air9 (which I have also ridden) in my book.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I can't say anything about the Mama's ride but I definitely prefer scandium over steel.
I have a scandium 'cross bike and a Moto Rapido. They feel better than anything in steel I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was riding a Haro Mary SS before I bought my Mama. It is hard to compare a lower end Mary with the Mama, but the differences were dramatic. The Mama is a get up and go bike when you step on the pedals. The rear is a little more forgiving than the steel Mary was, but still a hard tail. I run a Thudbuster ST on Mama if I am going for a longer endurance ride. The Mama just responds to every bit of input you give her where as the Mary steel needed some wrangling on occasion. Scandium is a different animal than steel. I have ridden my buddies SIR9 which is a nicer steel ride and it did seem to be a bit more flexy than my Mama. The Mama is a good mix of rigidity and comfort for a hard tail.

Steel will last a lifetime or a very long time. Scandium will break and I knew that going into the purchase of the Mama. It is not a lifetime type of frame. I think that you should take that into consideration with the purchase of any of the scandium frames. Can you afford to be buying a new frame in a few years?(depending on how much you ride) If not I would go with a higher end steel frame that will last longer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
steel to scandium to steel again...

I had a blue El Mariachi for a while and absolutely loved it, except that from time to time I wished for something lighter. Eventually my desires for a light/fast racing machine won, so I sold it, and bought a Mamasita. Been riding and racing the Mamasita for about a year and loving it - it's crazy fast. But...

I missed steel and the slightly slacker head angle. There's just something lively, absorptive, and wonderful about steel that made me...

yes...sell the Mamasita for a new red El Mariachi! Looking forward to riding it again. I personally feel that whatever advantage a steel bike loses to weight is more than made up for in ride quality. It took me three bikes to learn that.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I had a Redline d460 with an 80mm Reba Race and the handling was very quick and responsive. I've also spent some time on a Mama and can't say ANYTHING bad about that bike. It does feel as though it pedals better than the Redline. I can't tell the difference between a scandium bike and an aluminum one. As for steel being smoother (?) well how about quieter. The brake housing tapping on the frame doesn't make as much noise. Both are great bikes. If you are primarily into XC racing then I would give the nod to the Mamasita.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had a SIR9 and now I roll a mama. Steel is real, but it also rubbery. The SIR9 was a smoother ride fer sure, but it had way too much lateral flex for me. The Mama has a smoothness to it but the frame is way stiffer laterally.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
I hope...

No way for me to demo a Mama but I'm likely to pull the trigger in search of a better ride.

Steel, for me, is too flexy at the BB. If you're a sit and spin guy not a big deal but if you like the mash out of the saddle, a flexy BB is no good.

Hopefully a Mama will give me what I'm looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.