Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was competing in the Fat Tire marathon at Vail Lake on Saturday; I always worry a little bit about the course because it presents several opportunities for an ER visit if you don't pay attention. 20 miles out of 50, I was riding a narrow, overgrown trail leading a bunch of riders when POW! out of nowhere there's a huge impact and I'm on the deck wondering WTF? Guy behind helps me to my feet and says "Dude, you just got taken out by a frickin' deer!". It was quite the talk of the race. Anyway, my bike was a mess and it took me about 15 minutes to re-jig everything and get going again so what would have been a pretty good finish turned into nothing special. My elbow got bent back the wrong way too, so I couldn't use my left arm for climbing or descending on the second lap, which is a bummer coz it was a climby and descendy kind of race. I didn't feel too bad on Saturday but yesterday & today I feel like I got run over by a bus!
Just when you think you have crashed in every possible way... :madman:
Considering what could have happened I think I got away lightly. The deer was a full grown doe and if it had hit me dead on who knows what may have happened? I think I must have spotted it at the last second and slowed enough to avoid full contact, it hit me in the shoulder and got my bike from the handlebar forwards.
"Bambi" my ass! They're all out to get you!

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would have been awesome; probably fodder for one of those "when animals attack" tv shows! I'm just glad that there were witnesses, my team mates already think the story is just an excuse for my poor finishing time! :p

·
Who's riding today?
1,434 Posts
Even better to have your George Forman grill with you. Knock that deer out to make that perfect paleo post ride power snack after the race. Road kill can be good!

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Great story! I almost got hit by one. One came out of nowhere and started running along side of me down a fireroad (thank God not ST). They are twitchy as hell and unpredictable so
I felt like Oh S%t, but she decided to take off in a different area which was a relief.

I hope you checked yourself for ticks. Those damn mule deer are infested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.